PDA

View Full Version : Open a PDF file in a table cell located on the same page as the hyperlink

toddzy
04-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi there, this one should test you because I searched for over an hour and came up with nothing. :(

Can anyone tell how I can have a PDF file open in a table cell located on the same page as the hyperlink? (for IE6)

All help is very appreciated. Thank you. :)
Kind Regards
Toddzy.

jscheuer1
04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Even if it is possible, it might not be that good of an idea. Have you seen this done on the web? If so, where? You might be able to target a frame for this but, I am skeptical. Whenever I click on a hyperlink for a PDF it launches Acrobat in a new window. It is this behavior, launching Acrobat (which is probably a part of my and many folks' configuration), that would make this difficult. You might be able to target an Iframe in a table cell. One thing that could be done is to launch the PDF's content as HTML within an Iframe in the table cell.

toddzy
05-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Yes thank you jscheuer1, IFRAME did work. The next step was to have each link in my javascript menu link to a pdf document and have it insert the pdf document into the iframe of a table cell adjacent to the table cell the menu is in.

Thanks to everyone's help I've been able to figure out how to do it!! WHAAHOO! :D

The format of the following line of code is: ("Text to show","Link","optional image","number of sub levels","height","width").
Menu5=new Array("Miscellaneous","javascript:NewWin=parent.frames['if1'].location='philpsy/Miscellaneous.pdf';window['if1'].focus()","",0,20,138);

if1 = the id of the iframe i.e. <IFRAME id="if1" ...>

I have a feeling this line of javascript is not completely accurate or true to the correct coding for what I want, but it still works!!! ;)