PDA

View Full Version : New to CSS

jokerje
11-08-2007, 01:47 AM
I am really new to CSS but I am learning. I figure the best way to learn is to ask for help. I am using Microsoft Expressions to design my site and mixing code editing with wysiwyg editing...as I relearn how to make pages with CSS. I am looking for a way to make a nice CSS menu that the menu items are controlled by an external to any page in the website. In other words so I can make the change and all pages that have the menu are effected.

Do you know what I mean?

ClaireP
11-12-2007, 04:17 AM
You can create one external style sheet that will change the look of your menu on every page.

But, in order to change or add a link to your menu, you will still have to edit each page.

CSS is for designing the look of your menu, not creating or editing the actual links.

I use a combination of CSS, (X)HTML and PHP Templating for large websites (those over 5 pages).

It's been 4 years since I abandoned tables, and started using CSS to design my websites.

I have never used a WYSIWYG editor, and create all my designs from scratch in NoteTab Pro.

To create an external style sheet:
Create ONE stylesheet, name it mystylesheet.css and use this in the <head> of each of your webpages.
Don't put <style type="text/css"> at the top of the stylesheet. You only
have to include the actual style rules. (and no closing </style> either).

(change mystylesheet.css to whatever you want to call it).
I usually name my stylesheets the same name as my website title.
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://mydomain.com/styles/mystylesheet.css" />

Create a directory on your web server named styles and upload the stylesheet to that directory.
I use one directory on each of my domains for every stylesheet on that domain.

I hope I haven't made this sound more complicated than it really is.

ClaireP