PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a MAC to the internet

fileserverdirect
11-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok, you caught me, I Like windows, but I have a mac, and I found out I am a PC person. But I want this mac to be connected to the internet. I own a WiFi\Ethernet router, for my desktop and laptop. I now want to connect a PowerMac (9.0) to the system. I think it is more complecated than running a long dsl wire to the router and back. When I connected my laptop to the system, I had to do alot cmd prompt stuff, there is no command prompt on a mac though. So how can I connect it to the internet? Can I plug an ethernet cable into my computer and the other end to the mac? I am so confused:confused:
A "Thank this user for this post" will most defintly be added to get this mac online. Thanks in advanced.
FSD

Twey
11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
When I connected my laptop to the system, I had to do alot cmd prompt stuffI can't see why.
there is no command prompt on a mac though.Certainly there is. It's a good deal more powerful than the Windows one too. I'm surprised that you had to mess about with the command prompt if you were just plugging it into a router. It should be detected automatically in any modern operating system.
So how can I connect it to the internet? Can I plug an ethernet cable into my computer and the other end to the mac?Router <=> Mac should be fine.

fileserverdirect
11-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Quote:
When I connected my laptop to the system, I had to do alot cmd prompt stuff

I can't see why.
I had to do some Subnet masking and using the IPCONFIG command.

Quote:
there is no command prompt on a mac though.

Certainly there is. It's a good deal more powerful than the Windows one too. I'm surprised that you had to mess about with the command prompt if you were just plugging it into a router. It should be detected automatically in any modern operating system. 2 things: One I am not a mac person, so I would not have know, and Two, It was automaticly detected, but not the internet, the network was(file sharing etc.)

Quote:
So how can I connect it to the internet? Can I plug an ethernet cable into my computer and the other end to the mac?

Router <=> Mac should be fine.
That's it? The mac does it all automaticly? Wow. Got to try it. I will post once I have done it. Thanks SO FAR.

djr33
11-08-2007, 12:22 AM
OS9? Why...
I haven't used that in so long. I'm sure there's some sort of command prompt, but I never used it.
In OSX, which you might be using because your reference to "9.0" was vague at best, it's simple-- just use terminal.

However, you should be able to set that all up in the System Preferences anyway. Lots of options; manual if config if you want.

Usually macs just work, yeah. Just plug in the ethernet cable, and you're good to go.

Or maybe you need a better router.

fileserverdirect
11-08-2007, 12:24 AM
WOW! for three reasons:
1. It worked
2. My website looked like (SELF CENSOR)!!!!! Internet exploer 4 + mac = Blah and I use png images, too bad IE4 does not support them :( also It says there is an unsupported Javascript element: document.write????
3.When I tryed Virtual PC win 95, when I tried loading my site: Internet exploer is trying to do an ileagel action? puh, load a DHTML menu?

Also checked out twey.co.uk, I guess it is an "ANY Browser" site. I don't understand, I work my *you know what* tring to get my website to work in any browser, I get it all valid, and it looks like *you know what*. I guess my site is ALOT more complicated than yours. Also in Virtual PC, Your site does look terrible, but at least it loads:D
I had to move my mac 20 feet next to the router, now all I need is a 20ft DSL cable LOL.:)

djr33
11-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Virtual PC running Windows 95 from OS9? Dude, can I borrow your 5 1/4 floppies? They're awesome.

...does ANYTHING even work on that? Heh. Sounds fun, though.

I guess my site is ALOT more complicated than yours.Nah. Well, maybe, but that's not why. Twey works incredibly diligently to ensure that it works on all browsers-- it'll even work for blind viewers using screen readers. ;)

Twey
11-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Virtual PC running Windows 95 from OS9? Dude, can I borrow your 5 1/4 floppies? They're awesome.Hahaha :D
Twey works incredibly diligently to ensure that it works on all browsers-- it'll even work for blind viewers using screen readers.It will, although it didn't require a lot of diligence. Looks crap on IE5 though. I don't support older browser versions much, especially when the later versions are free to download (yeah, OK, so there's no version later than IE5.5 for Mac, but we'll just consider IE/Mac dead and forget about it), and the earlier versions are as utterly pants as IE5 :) QuirksMode labels it accurately: "bug-ridden crash-prone piece of junk."

djr33
11-08-2007, 01:44 AM
but we'll just consider IE/Mac dead and forget about itClose the lid on the coffin and perhaps the rotting stench won't get out.

fileserverdirect
11-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Virtual PC running Windows 95 from OS9? Dude, can I borrow your 5 1/4 floppies? They're awesome.
Shure, how many do you need, :D (really).
The only reason that I still have this computer, is for backups, Mac-only CD-Roms, etc. I got it from my dad, when He got the new OSX Tiger or Leopard, somthing like that

It will, although it didn't require a lot of diligence. Looks crap on IE5 though. I don't support older browser versions much, especially when the later versions are free to download (yeah, OK, so there's no version later than IE5.5 for Mac, but we'll just consider IE/Mac dead and forget about it), and the earlier versions are as utterly pants as IE5 QuirksMode labels it accurately: "bug-ridden crash-prone piece of junk."
1. "Looks like crap on IE5"
And on IE4 :)
2." I don't support older browser versions much, especially when the later versions are free to download (yeah, OK, so there's no version later than IE5.5 for Mac, but we'll just consider IE/Mac dead and forget about it)" *says in an english accent* Yes lets do, lets just pertend it never existed, like the dinosaurs, I mean the only prof is some bones and... well... some more bones.
3."QuirksMode labels it accurately: "bug-ridden crash-prone piece of junk.""
and It labels IE4: "Error, please enter a valid browser name to continue".
:)

djr33
11-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Haha. Well, sounds like fun. I remember the old days. I have actually always wanted a 5 1/4 drive, just for fun. Y'know, make backups of 2 or 3 html files per disk. Always a good idea.

I remember one video editing "camp" thing, where we actually used graphics packs stored on 5 1/4 floppies. Yeah... that was weird.

But, the moral here is, despite how old it is (and how buggy IE may be), it actually works! Macs do that, y'know. Plug and play should be copyrighted to apple.