PDA

View Full Version : Vista Sleep Problem

Johnnymushio
11-03-2007, 08:41 PM
First of all, this is a copy of cmd message

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -a
The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernat
e Hybrid Sleep
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -LASTWAKE
Wake History Count - 0

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0

C:\Windows\system32>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so it looks like my laptop only supports deep hibernation, not s1, or s2. just,,

s0 (on)

s3 (deep hibernation)

s5 (off)

doesnt say anything about s4, but it says s1 and s2 do not work.

so the problem all along that i thought was vistas, was actually my laptop.

is there some upgrade i can download to enable the s1 and s2 sleeps?

what exactly would i update

Twey
11-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Is your laptop 64-bit?

Johnnymushio
11-03-2007, 10:35 PM
ummm 32 bit

Johnnymushio
11-05-2007, 05:08 AM
hmm i thought i finally found a sleep mode that worked, s3, deep hibernation, but i just woke it up and it stood there with a black screen. then i had to hold the power button, the it went through 8 minutes of error checking

Johnnymushio
11-15-2007, 05:11 AM
i take it no ones knows...

djr33
11-15-2007, 05:12 AM
Xp? ;)

BLiZZaRD
11-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Run your command prompt as Admin... once there run:

powercfg /hibernate on

or

powercfg -h on

Hibernate should be on your shut down menu options after that and the actual option reinstalled.

Also note deep sleep is s4 not s3.

Johnnymushio
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
yes hibernate is in the options, just like sleep.

and when resuming from both of them, the computer either takes 10 minutes to resume or stays at a black screen.

Johnnymushio
11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Run your command prompt as Admin... once there run:

powercfg /hibernate on

or

powercfg -h on

Hibernate should be on your shut down menu options after that and the actual option reinstalled.

Also note deep sleep is s4 not s3.

These option were already here...

Switch User
Log Off
Lock
-----
Restart
-----
Sleep
Hibernate
Shut Down

Shut Down works, restart works, log off works, ive never used lock or switch user, but hibernate and sleep dont work right.

ive had to hold down the power button to restart computer after waking up for sleep or hibernate.

i guess i just cant use them anymore.

tech_support
11-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Your motherboard might be too old.

Johnnymushio
11-18-2007, 05:20 AM
the computer was made in 2007. its new.

djr33
11-18-2007, 05:30 AM
Seriously, run XP.

Even those who originally argued with me and claimed vista was better than XP, so I should install it, have now reversed their positions and admitted Vista is stupid. Microsoft is also scrambling to recover from this daft error.

You've started so many threads recently on why Vista is screwed up. What IS good about it?

tech_support
11-18-2007, 05:33 AM
the computer was made in 2007. its new.
Format. Your. Computer.
Trust me, it fixes 95% of things.

Twey
11-18-2007, 06:54 AM
the computer was made in 2007. its new.Doesn't mean it's new enough to support every feature of Vista. :p

djr33
11-18-2007, 06:57 AM
By the time that longhorn, or vienna, or whatever they decide to call it, comes around, they MIGHT invent a computer powerful enough to run vista. Good news, even then, there will be a way out. :)

Johnnymushio
11-18-2007, 09:40 AM
hmmm this computer was shipped with vista preinstalled.

its home basic, and says its capable of running home premium (which it did at one point)

doesnt formatting computer erase everything?

i did a vista clean install before... but this problem is still here

Johnnymushio
11-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Seriously, run XP.

Even those who originally argued with me and claimed vista was better than XP, so I should install it, have now reversed their positions and admitted Vista is stupid. Microsoft is also scrambling to recover from this daft error.

You've started so many threads recently on why Vista is screwed up. What IS good about it?

its not a vista problem. and i have not started threads about why it is bad.

and i cant afford to buy xp.

Johnnymushio
11-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Format. Your. Computer.
Trust me, it fixes 95% of things.

ohh wait. format? or reformat? they are already formated

djr33
11-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, I'm sorry you've fallen victim to Microsoft's grand beta testing plan-- let people pay for it and use it, then figure out if it works, doesn't, or it it's just permanently crippled as is Vista, but you're stuck, unless you can find a way around it.

1. Get XP. Yes, it may be exensive. But, really, it's pretty old. How expensive can it be now, on ebay, etc.

2. Reformat.
Re-- again. Formatting is done, yes. But reformatting will erase everything. Bad? Well, in a way. But just backup your files and you're fine. It will then have a completely fresh install, with no problems, except what comes with vista naturally. Anything that got corrupt, etc., will be fixed, though.

I didn't say you started thread stating that Vista is bad. I said you started threads about problems. Vista, if you sum up all of your posts, is basically just bad. So many things don't work. That's what I meant. I'm not saying you're wrong to ask questions or asked them the wrong way, but with so many, the common link seems to be vista.
So, if you can, get rid of the problem :\

Yuck9
11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
hmm i thought i finally found a sleep mode that worked, s3, deep hibernation, but i just woke it up and it stood there with a black screen. then i had to hold the power button, the it went through 8 minutes of error checking

I have the same problems. Built this system about 4 months ago.

Vista certified mother board. Asus P5B deluxe Intel core 2 duo 6750 2 gb of ram. Sata 300 drives ncq drives. Latest bios, etc. It's not under powered.
A fresh Install does not fix the problem. I've even Installed the quick fix for the usb with no joy.

There is a setting in the bios that allows posting of the vidio after sleep mode.
But that still does not fix my problem. I've Investagated this problem to no end.
The other night I went to the asuz website and read it's a usb problem with vista and the azus mother boards. I'm sure there are other mother board mfg that are having the same problem as well.

The site says to change the S-3 to S-1 but I still have the same problem.
They also talk about 5v jumper change to bypass this problem. Problem is my mother board has no jumpers.

There is also talk about going into device mgr and turning off mouse and keyboard awake settings which I found worked. But not allowing these two items to allow the computer to awake put me right back into the how to awake the system from sleep mode once you want to use the system again.

The only way is to turn off the system and then restart. Which If I have to do that I might as well shut it down as a reboot has to be done anyway becuse of the no video from awakeing problem.

In short, If you have a Asuz MB (they blame Microsoft) A Format wont fix your problem, so save yourself hours of work doing a reinstall of the OS and your programs. I've seen Vista sleep mode work great on HP Systems. My viao laptop works great in sleep mode.