PDA

View Full Version : Active X Popup

fileserverdirect
11-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Hello,
Recently every time I open a site that has sound, a pop-up comes up saying "Do you want to run the Active X control?" I know normally a yellow bar below the toolbar asks this, but even then, the bar has never showed up for sound-playing. And now an anoying pop-up that I can't turn off. Whats going on and how do I stop it?

--FSD

jscheuer1
11-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Restore all defaults:

tools > internet options > security > reset all zones to default level

and:

tools > internet options > advanced > restore advanced settings (not reset!)

Or, better still, install FF.

fileserverdirect
11-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks, but it still did not remove the popup. Is there any other program\setting that could be changing this?

jscheuer1
11-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, it might be time to use the the reset where I said before not to:

tools > internet options > advanced > reset

But you may lose some stored stuff like passwords, maybe not.

And, yes there could be a single setting among the many, many security and advanced settings that is causing this. It could be a combination of settings. But, unless something else has changed that made this start happening (something outside of the browser), resetting the defaults as I already instructed should have done it.

You may have malware. You may have installed a firewall or changed its settings, anti-virus or anti-malware software or their settings.

Or, it could be the sites with the sound on them, are they the same ones as before that didn't have this issue? Give us a few addresses to check out for you. No warez or **** sites please.

fileserverdirect
11-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks,
but resetting the browser is not an option, literally. In the advanced tab, the only buttons are: OK, CANCEL, APPLY, and Restore Defualts. There is no "Reset" Is it in a different tab? I have not installed anything recently, and I have checked out various sites with sound, and on every one the box comes up. Could this only is a problem with the <embed> tag, I have not tried any sites with <BGSOUND>. Also this is only happing through this computer. When I tested it on my laptop, everything worked (IE7) Is this for all IE6's or is it just my computer alone. Thanks in advance.

jscheuer1
11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
My previous instructions in this thread were for IE 7. For IE 6 you would:

tools > internet options > security > reset each zone to its default level by selecting each zone in turn and hitting 'Default Level'

and:

tools > internet options > advanced > Restore Defaults

If that doesn't fix it:

And, yes there could be a single setting among the many, many security and advanced settings that is causing this. It could be a combination of settings. But, unless something else has changed that made this start happening (something outside of the browser), resetting the defaults as [I'm instructing now should do it].

You may have malware. You may have installed a firewall or changed its settings, anti-virus or anti-malware software or their settings.

Or, it could be the sites with the sound on them, are they the same ones as before that didn't have this issue? Give us a few addresses to check out for you. No warez or **** sites please.

fileserverdirect
11-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Nothing is working. I don't know whats going on here, I even diabled some windows firewall stuff to see if the pop-ups would stop. This is soooooo stupid, sometimes I just wish the computer would do what I say, literally, I mean thats what it was desinged for right? What if I downloaded IE7 or FF
, what if the same popup came up, then I would've wasted space, time, and my problem still would not be solved. Any more options?

jscheuer1
11-04-2007, 03:55 PM
In situations like this it is easy to get panicky, but that is the last thing you should do. The next step is to do a very thorough check for viruses and malware to eliminate them as possible causes.

I'm thinking, if you have live update or have updated recently, it may be a 'new feature' designed for your 'security' from the friendly software giant MS who may want everyone to upgrade to IE 7.