PDA

View Full Version : "javac" not a recognized command

lord_havoc
10-30-2007, 02:11 AM
So I'm trying to compile a .class file a created at school to work on it at home but the command prompt says "javac is not recognized as an internal or external command." Whats up with that?

Twey
10-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Firstly, you don't compile a .class file. .class is the extension given to files that have already been compiled from source files, usually given a .java extension.

This error message means that the "javac.exe" executable can't be found in your path. This is usually caused by one of two things:You don't have a JDK (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) installed. The JDK isn't in your path.You need to install the JDK if you don't have it already. Then, make sure that you have the "bin" directory of your JDK in your system path. I think on Windows this is edited by going to My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables.

lord_havoc
10-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Ah, sorry about my the misuse of terminology, I've only recently started learning Java and I get confused quite a bit. And I did download JDK but I did not change the other stuff.