PDA

View Full Version : Images in fireworks not clear on jpeg output

linux1880
10-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Why images are not as clear as it appears on the fireworks screen when we save it as a file and view it from windows picture viewer ? Is there anyways to make very clear picture with small filesize in fireworks ? Thanks.

djr33
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Filesize and quality are inversely related.
One goes up, the other goes down.

Try increasing the quality until it looks good enough and check if the size is low enough. Basically, just find the best compromise.

jscheuer1
10-26-2007, 03:41 PM
As to why, it's just the way many image processing programs work. The situation is this:

You have a high resolution image loaded in your image processing program.
You save it at a lower resolution.
Unless you close the image and then reopen it in that program, you are still seeing the high resolution version.

If the way you saved the lower resolution version is via 'export', 'save as' or 'save copy as', this is exactly what the image processing program should do. However, some image processing programs will continue showing the higher resolution version of the image even if it is saved via a straight 'save' command. If that is the case, it is a programming flaw.

However you save your images though, be sure to keep a backup copy of the original and backups of any important stages in the image's development.

jc_gmk
10-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Try going to 'image preview' to export your images rather than 'save as'.
You should use 'save as' to save the original layered image; usually to a Fireworks .png file.

If you use image preview there are many options to optimise for web.
You can even tell it what target file size you want and it will adjust the image accordingly.

I normally export it as a "JPEG - Better Quality"
With the quality set to "80" and "No Smoothing"

djr33
10-26-2007, 07:57 PM
John explains it well.

However, I don't see that as a programming flaw. I hate it when a program decides to downgrade the quality of the open file.

That's like saying when you press print in a word processor, the page should no longer be typable.

Generally, it makes sense to save as a .psd, .psp, .bmp or other full quality image file and work from that, but if you only want jpg output that is an option. Either way, saving the image should not flatten the layers, downgrade the quality or do anything, in fact, to your canvas/workspace.

Programs that force "save as a copy" at that point make the most sense, but I don't think that even a stupid user who doesn't use save as or export should have the canvas update to artifacts from export. If you want to change one more thing, you've suddenly ended up with a low quality image.
Imagine working on an image and uploading it 5 times as you work on it, to show a friend. After those 5 saves, the image would look terrible.

jscheuer1
10-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Makes sense Daniel. I'm just used to the way my Optimizer Pro does it. It keeps the original image open while showing you a preview of the optimized version before saving. Even after saving, you can undo or modify resolution and other changes and save again, or start over from the original open image.

That, or something similar is how it should work in other programs. They don't need to keep two versions open, but you should be able to see the results of and undo your changes in real time, just like with the majority of things that you might do to an image in an image editing program.

Saving and previewing in a viewer to see the results is a slightly cumbersome, but acceptable alternative. However, Window's native image previewer isn't always the best agent to use for that. It can misrepresent the actual appearance of the image. Viewing in a web browser is better. Using the application that the image will ultimately be viewed in (if known and practical) is best.

djr33
10-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Good point about previewing. I have no problem with that.
A program should either display the output image in the canvas until it is modified again (or, rather, before it is modified again, perhaps on a timer, or based on a click), or, the best solution, have an export window like photoshop does [called "save for web"], which gives a realtime preview of the image to be output as you change settings; press save, and it goes back to the untouched canvas.