PDA

View Full Version : Kill IE, please.

djr33
10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a virus infested XP partition on my macbook. I don't use it nor do I care if if it has the virus, and I don't want to deal with resetting at the moment. I have a program I need to run on XP, not OSX, for class, and I'm fed up with the stupid popups. I don't use IE, and I don't care if it disables any application support-- again, I'm not using it for anything.

How can I just kill IE so it stops doing this?

If I just delete the application, Microsoft, genius as it is, puts it right back.

Twey
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
See the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_Internet_Explorer). Looks like your best bet would be to create a custom installation disk with nLite then reinstall Windows from that.

Personally, I think you'd be better off using Darwine (http://darwine.sourceforge.net/) or some such.

What's the application? There might be a clone available.

thetestingsite
10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
You have to go to the Control Panel, then click on "Add/Remove Windows...". It will ask you to put the XP disk in, then from there you can choose to uninstall IE.

Hope this helps.

boogyman
10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
you need to find the uninstall file, and run that script and it will be gone.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192852/EN-US/

Twey
10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192852/EN-US/
APPLIES TO
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 Macintosh Edition
Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0c for Macintosh
Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0 for Macintosh
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Macintosh
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.5 for Macintosh
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 for Macintosh
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 for Macintosh
You have to go to the Control Panel, then click on "Add/Remove Windows...". It will ask you to put the XP disk in, then from there you can choose to uninstall IE.This will remove IE from various program listings and set something else as the default browser, but IE will still be there, and the malware can still use it.

djr33
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Alright. Thanks for the ideas. By the time I do any of that, might as well reformat the partition anyway. I'll do that sometime this week.

I'm using Rosetta Stone for language. I can run it through an emulator on OSX, but this causes a very strange problem with the microphone; it reads at about half speed, so it sounds something like "he--e--e-llll-oooooo--oh"...not very helpful in determining if my pronunciation is decent.

EDIT: And now I've disabled basically every form of scripting in IE, so it won't be bugging me any more.

Rockonmetal
10-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Is it your microphone? If it is, make sure its plugged into the Microphone Input and that any effects for it are turned off. Also make sure that it isn't to loud. I have a lot of experiance with microphones *because I record my drums and guitar often...*

djr33
10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
It works just fine on the windows partition and in OSX. It's some weird processor delay in the emulator. Wish it was that simple.

Johnnymushio
10-23-2007, 08:24 PM
the only reason why I use IE one time every month is because i sometimes run into a site thats IE only, because it needs active x controls. i remember trying before to download some plugin for ff so i can visit active x pages, but it didnt work.

jscheuer1
10-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Something I figured I'd just throw into this discussion. As far as I know, Internet Explorer (the web browser) and Windows Explorer (the file manager/desktop) are so inextricably bound together under XP that they are virtually the same program.

Johnnymushio
10-30-2007, 08:53 AM
yeah i noticed that in windows 98 too. as for vista, they are more different.

BLiZZaRD
10-30-2007, 03:27 PM
the only reason why I use IE one time every month is because i sometimes run into a site thats IE only, because it needs active x controls. i remember trying before to download some plugin for ff so i can visit active x pages, but it didnt work.

Not sure if it is my plug-ins or I just don't browse enough but I have never encountered a site I HAD to use IE for... Do you have an example?

Twey
10-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I haven't either.

jscheuer1
10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
The only reasons I use IE (that come to mind at the moment) are:

Testing, because so many other folks (misguidedly) use it as either their primary or only browser.
To access Active X in the admin panels for a list program on a site I master - makes the message editor much more user friendly.
Nostalgia/Curiosity.

Definitely worth keeping around for just those. It is a ticking time bomb though if one is not extremely careful with it.

lainlives
10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
yes long ago ie has aided in the process in killing windows, many times