PDA

View Full Version : Slashdot menu on mouseover ?

Exy
10-18-2007, 10:08 AM
1) Script Title:
Slasdhot menu
2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/slashdot.htm
3) Describe problem:
I'm trying to change the menu from opening on mouse click to openen on mouseover, 1 submenu open a time.
Initially this works, when i go over 1 submenu, the other submenus close.
But when i go over the menu fast, multiple submenus open instead of only 1.

Does anyone know how to fix this ?

edit: also closing is on mouseover, but with the same problem as opening.

D72
10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi, yes i'm really curious too if it's possible. I tried to change some things in the javascript, but i'm not that good with making or changing such codes in a proper way.
It would be great if the behaviour of the menu could looks like on the Apple site
http://www.apple.com/mac/

(on the right)
I like the way that things goes into action while making a hover movement. So people understand faster and better to navigate on the website.

I also mentioned that the bottom button/image is not positioned at the bottom at all. That's probaly because of the reason that the image with the rounded corners can't locate there and keep it's rounded corner. Is this also possible to create, just like the menu on Apple?

Regards Dave

Ictinus
10-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi D72,
take a look at the links in my sig below. SDNMenu now has a onmouseover option.
onMouseover is enabled by default on the "SDNMenu example 36" and can be enabled in the configuration of the middle menu of the full "SDNMenu" example.
The delay before activating onmouseover (300ms i think) is currently not configurable, but you can find it easily in the code to change if you require.
Cheers

Exy
11-15-2007, 08:09 AM
This was what i was looking for,
thank you Ictinus.

D72
12-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi D72,
onMouseover is enabled by default on the "SDNMenu example 36" and can be enabled in the configuration of the middle menu of the full "SDNMenu" example.
The delay before activating onmouseover (300ms i think) is currently not configurable, but you can find it easily in the code to change if you require.
Cheers
Wow Ictinus!
Sorry for my very late reaction. But this is exactly what i was looking for.
You should make a source with you skills. Could be very interesting.
Clean simple but very effective and useable. Thanks!
Looking forward to see more work of you.

Dave

Exy
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi D72,
Cheers
I have SDNMenu example 36 in use now
It works great, however when i try to have the first menuitem without any submenu's it shows the triangle instead of the square.

So i want to have the first button be HOME and when you click it it goes to the home page and doesn't have any submenu's.

This happens in my dinamically script (php/mysql) aswell as the default script when i put the "download this example" at the very top.

All other buttons after the first one work as they should.

I hope someone can help me with this, would be much appreciated.

Ictinus
01-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I have SDNMenu example 36 in use now
It works great, however when i try to have the first menuitem without any submenu's it shows the triangle instead of the square.

Hi Exy,
I've reproduced the problem here, I'll see about fixing that when I get a moment.
Cheers

Exy
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Exy,
I've reproduced the problem here, I'll see about fixing that when I get a moment.
Cheers
Thanks!

-big edit here-
I wrote that it did not work in IE, well after some snooping on your originals online i noticed those DID work in IE.... i found out that the download script doesn't contain the file prototype.js which is apperently needed by IE to work properly (yes i feel really stupid now :P ).
So other that the minor problem i posted here it DOES work great.

It's a great script, except for the problem i posted earlier it works great ! It has just that little bit extra functionality that the others lack.

Ictinus
01-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Exy,
It appears that I've already fixed the first menu item (empty submenu) issue in the latest version of SDNMenu that isn't yet properly up on the website.

Please take a look at this test version of Simple Example 36 (http://www.ictinus.com/sdnmenu/simple_example_36_test/simple_example_36_test.html)
(this test link will be removed when the full demo is updated)

It is modified to show the first menu item working as you expect.
There are some differences in SDNMenu with this example which will become clearer when I can update the full demo page.

The main difference for this example is that the bypixels "speed" now defaults to -1. This speed setting allows for a more consistent animation when the submenus have greatly different content (links and text).
A value of > 0 for bypixels will actually result in an animation step of '2^bypixels' pixels.

(For those interested, this version does not yet remember 'lastmenu' between page loads)
Let me know how you go.

!! Don't understand why IE requires prototype.js to work properly at the moment, it was not my intention !!

Exy
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Exy,
It appears that I've already fixed the first menu item (empty submenu) issue in the latest version of SDNMenu that isn't yet properly up on the website.

Please take a look at this test version of Simple Example 36 (http://www.ictinus.com/sdnmenu/simple_example_36_test/simple_example_36_test.html)
(this test link will be removed when the full demo is updated)

It is modified to show the first menu item working as you expect.
There are some differences in SDNMenu with this example which will become clearer when I can update the full demo page.

The main difference for this example is that the bypixels "speed" now defaults to -1. This speed setting allows for a more consistent animation when the submenus have greatly different content (links and text).
A value of > 0 for bypixels will actually result in an animation step of '2^bypixels' pixels.

(For those interested, this version does not yet remember 'lastmenu' between page loads)
Let me know how you go.

!! Don't understand why IE requires prototype.js to work properly at the moment, it was not my intention !!

Thank you so much for fixing it, even though you already had it done :D

It works great now both in FF2 aswell as in IE6. I'm working on a CMS system at this moment, the menu is loaded from the database and i can alter the order now aswell, adding/editing is still on the to do list but i'm sure that will work just fine too.

I have no idea why prototype.js is needed for IE, but it does make it work so i don't really care :o i don't know much about javascript so i can't help with it.

Thanks again though, great script and great support :D

williamb
01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
This is absolutely AWESOME. I am curious though could it preform as a floating menu...I haven't had much luck forcing it to do so yet. Would you have any ideas?