I have made a HTML page and a MySQL database with fields

Name:
Surname:
(H) Number:
(M) Number:
(W) Number:
Address:

and so on

I would like that form to link to the data base and be able to save or input data and to view info in a table you would have to log in and view the full A to Z listing

jc_gmk
10-15-2007, 04:51 PM
I would suggest you take a look at this tutorial. :)

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com

Mehok
10-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Thnak you but for someone with my expirience with MySQL this is kind of hard if some one could explain it to me step by step i will be on MSN tonight at arround 6 or 7 pm GMT 00

boogyman
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
give a man a fish he has dinner, teach a man to fish he has food for a life time.

this is more of a help forum with a specific question, not provide a question get a tutorial. if you have a specific question then yes we will explain how and why something is done, but we arent going to sit here and do the whole thing for you... also you might try searching google or even this forum... there are lots of tutorials on how to connect / insert / grab-view things from a database.

djr33
10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Step by step.... yeah. That's exactly what the tutorial does.
I really like that tutorial. I don't think there's a much better way to explain it.
It won't result in your phone book immediately, but it will give you the information needed to create it.
Then you just need to reapply the skills you learned and you're done.

Mehok
10-15-2007, 07:47 PM
of fine but i have done the data base i have the pages i want all i need is the way to connect all the **** up and have it do what i realy want it to do its that simple

so in another words you arent doing much at all

but thanks for all the help you have given me and about the fish you just gave me one but not tought me how to fish

I could look at the info all night but making 2 cents from it is very hard when i am only learning about MySQL this year in college

djr33
10-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Haha, I think you missed the point of the metaphor.
The tutorial is, in that sense, a book about how to fish, not a fish itself.
The "fish" is the final code, which you will be able to write once you "know how to fish".

"connecting it all up" is covered plenty in the tutorial.

take it step by step and you'll get it.

Regardless of when your school covers it, it's not all that hard, really.

You use a query, it does something to the database. Or, if you're using a SELECT statement, it returns results. Then you can go through those, search them, output them, etc.

Again, all covered in the tutorial.

It isn't magic-- you will need to practice, but it's also not some grand mystery.

Personally I think mysql is a bizarre language, and it's certainly very different from the others, but it's very formulaic.

Mehok
10-15-2007, 08:00 PM
would you mind dumbing that perticular tutorial to me trough the MSN or Yahoo Messenger please

djr33
10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
There's no real way to make it much easier.

It goes step by step, and you can just copy the examples.

If it looks like nonsense, that's ok. You'll catch on soon.

The hardest part would be getting mysql running. We can probably help with that.

Does your host have mysql already available? If not, can you install it?

Mehok
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
yes my host has it and its a student account so i can request anything and i will get it for nothing

djr33
10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Sounds good, then.

The 7 "vocabulary terms" you should get to know, then are:
mysql_connect(), and its use, plus mysql_select_db()
mysql_query(), and use
SELECT
INSERT INTO
DELETE
UPDATE
WHERE

that's a very basic understanding of mysql and really all you'd need to know, plus the basic syntax which you can cut and paste from the tutorial for a while.

Good luck.

boogyman
10-15-2007, 08:19 PM
i think that part of your frustration is that you are looking at the problem in its entirety. micro-managing isnt always a good thing, but when you do not know soemthing its usually the best way to accomplish the complete goal.

so think about what it is you want to do. plan out the steps that need to be done to accomplish this step and solve each step individually and combine them and wham you have a complete project. then you can worry about efficiency after.

so here are the first couple steps that you have already completed.
1) brainstorm what the project is
2) make sure php and mysql is installed
3) I have access and can login to both
4) create a database
5)
6)
etcetc...

I know this may sound really childish and makes you feel kinda retarded (well it does me) however think about the first grade when you were learning how to count and do simple mathematics... what did you do.. used your fingers? right... well until you know any better thats what you need to do... count the steps ...

and like we all said... if you have a specific problem / situation that is troubling you by all means ask away and we shall be more than happy to explain how / why something is done a certain way, but since this is undoubtably a school assignment, you need to learn it not only for your test but also it will help you in the future when you similar and/or more complex projects.

cheers.