PDA

View Full Version : Featured Content Slider - pagination help

KaLi
10-15-2007, 12:35 AM
1) Script Title: Featured Content Slider

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/featuredcontentslider.htm

3) Describe problem: Hey guys, I am working with the featured content slider and so far everything is working fine. The only thing I want to modify is the pagination. I have figured out how to change the buttons to my own, and also I read a post where a link was used to call the next slide. I tried using it but I could not get it to work. Basically what I want to do is this:

On my page there is a spot for the slides, and underneath (not directly though) there are 2 custom buttons. 1 for back and 1 for next, they are basically just arrows. I want to know how to use only those 2 buttons to work the script, back and forward. I think I just need the correct linkage for the 2 buttons, but I also need to modify contentslider.jsp - and I dont know how, lol. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

KaLi
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey guys, still cant get it working right, lol. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

ddadmin
10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Are you looking to remove the pagination links altogether, so all you're left with are two image links, "back" and "forth"? You may also want to look into Virtual Pagination script (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/virtualpagination.htm), which behaves very similar to Featured Content script, but is a lot more versatile in terms of customizing the pagination links.

KaLi
10-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah thats what im looking to do! :) And I want to be able to put the pagination links anywhere on my site, not just directly underneath. I've actually never seen the other one, so i will check into that one. Thanks a lot!

DMF
12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Hello, I have very limited development experience and hope I can get some assistance on pagination. This is a great script, and I have it working, can modify the .css etc, however, I have not been able to figure out how to change the links to custom text or graphics, if such is possible.

I see it is a var that can be defined, but I cannot find where that is done. I have searched the code, but it is escaping me.

Sorry if it should be obvious...I am just not as skilled as you guys (alas! sure wish I were!)

Also, if I wanted to put the links above the content rather than below, can that be done?

thanks a million for any help. This is just the kind of script I am looking for. Help on how to tweak it for our look and feel would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

DMF
12-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi, it's me again. I kind of suspected that maybe the script on the site for download was missing that variable, so I searched other questions in the forum about this script -- and the one that asks for a back button got a zip file with the back button added. So I downloaded that and see that it has the variable for custom links added under the Ajax related settings, which is where I thought I would find it, but it's not on the present download copy.

So anyway, now I see that's where I would set the link text to overide the defaults.

Do I then need to uncomment the code in the page that seems to indicate I would then get the text array to display? When I do that, it doesn't display at all.

Help! what am I doing wrong?

I think the script is super and sure want to be able to use it.

ddadmin
12-24-2007, 07:52 AM
DMF, are you referring to Featured Content Slider, or Virtual Pagination script? Also, please summarize what you wish to accomplish.

DMF
12-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Thank you. I am using the Featured Content Slider.

After wrestling with it and viewing the source code of the download page samples, I was able to figure out:

1) how to get custom link text to work and
2) how to move the pagination slider to the top (simply by moving the <div> tag)

So I am ok so far with all that. What I would really like to do now to make it fit with our look and feel is to experiment with the following:

- When I move the pagination slider to the top, there is no top border, so my text links which should be surrounded by the pagination slider, kind of open out into thin air at the top. I tried to make a closed border all around by fooling with the css file, but have failed.

When the pagination slide is moved to the top, how is this loss of top border corrected? What am I doing incorrectly?

- Also, as another design option, is it also possible to use graphics instead of text links for the pagination? If so, how would that be done?

Thanks a million for all your help! This is a super resource site!

DMF
12-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi, as you can see, I continue to wrestle with this, and now I have figured out the problem I was having with the borders. I was mistaking the element in the css file that pertained.

Now, one question I KNOW I can't figure out. Can graphics be used in place of linktext? Thanks much!