View Full Version : ZOrder issue with Fadeshow

monkeybumps
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
1) Script Title:
Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow (v1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:
This problem that i'm having is that i have an AJAX control that using the "AlwaysVisibleControlExtender" that allows the control to "stick" to part of the page no matter how the user scrolls.. ie: it will always stay up in the top left hand corner. ....but, when i scroll down over the slideshow it always stays on top of the AJAX control. I have tried to set the z-index of both of the items but the slideshow does not seem to respond unless i set it to -1, and then its out of view.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on what i should try next?

thanks.

jscheuer1
10-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Boost the z-index value of your Ajax thingy and use:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

instead of U-fade. U-fade uses constantly escalating z-index values, so given enough time will cover anything. The above linked script moves only within a range of z-index 5 or 6, maybe less.

If you are still having problems, perhaps you are not effectively altering the z-index of the Ajax item. The Ajax script itself may take control over it. Even with U-fade, if you effectively boosted the Ajax item to a z-index of say:

z-index:999999999999;

It would take a very long time for the U-fade script to cover it. If you cannot figure it out:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

monkeybumps
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to make sure that there isnt something that i can do with the ajax control before i change out the script. I will make sure to come back and post what path i take...

thanks again.

pmassie
10-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Monkeybumps...
I dont know if this will help you or not, but I had a similar problem with a CSS flyout menu being behind the slideshow... wasnt having any joy with z-index's untill i set the position (of the menu div) ...

.menu {
position:absolute;
z-index:1000
}

so it semes to work...

jscheuer1
10-16-2007, 03:40 PM
That's a good point, pmassie. In theory, an element must have a position property value other than static (absolute, relative, or fixed are supposed to all work), for its z-index value to take effect. However, because the fixed position value is new in some browsers, and in others its implementation is odd - to be safe you need to use absolute or relative as the position value to be insured of your z-index value being honored.

In some situations, some browsers will even honor z-index values on elements whose apparent position is altered in any way (floats, negative margins, etc.), or even not altered at all, but this cannot be relied upon cross browser.

Getting back to the original question in this thread, if the position value of the Ajax thing is fixed, that could be the problem. If you still need to use position:fixed;, perhaps you can nest a division inside that with position:relative; or absolute, and apply your z-index value to that.