PDA

View Full Version : .ogm files to cd/dvd

Johnnymushio
10-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I have these .ogm files with dual audio and subs, I want to play them on my DVD player. I have two DVD burning programs and I cant seem to be able to burn them.

I have 700mb cdr

and

4.7 gb dvd+rw

but for some reason i dont think the dvdrw works with my laptop

says my laptop has: DVD/CD-RW Combo

so should the dvd-rw work?

djr33
10-06-2007, 06:56 PM
A "DVD/CD-RW Combo" is used to describe drives that WILL burn CDs, and will READ DVDs.
It's a combination of DVD-ROM and CD-RW.

You can get a new drive, or use another computer, or you can use a CDR.

However, you should be aware that CDRs, if burned as music CDs (or several other formats in some cases, like photo albums and VCDs [video cds]) will play in a lot of DVD player models, though not necessarily all.
I'd recommend trying that.

This is probably irrelevant, but it's worth noting as well: There are two types of DVD discs that can be burned (on the consumer level--- and there are more on the professional level such as DVD9 which is what pro movie DVDs use):
DVD-R(W)
DVD+R(W)
The W means rewritable and just R means writable [a bit backwards, I suppose].
Either way, they come in the + and the - formats.
To explain a bit, it's sorta like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats now. They are different but similar and from competing companies.
In the same sense, + and - were developed independently for the same purpose and, annoyingly, both survived.
-R is better because it is closer to the DVD9 professional format and compatible with more DVD players, etc. +R is a stupid format and the discs are more expensive as well, but a LOT of PC burners, especially the older ones, were only capable of burning +R discs. Other burners can only do -R discs.
Newer/better burners can do both-- the most compatible burners will be:
DVD±R or DVD±RW, meaning they support both formats.
If you're lucky, or for that matter buy any decent burner today, you'll also get dual layer [two layers of data, nearly twice the storage capacity], which looks like this:
DVD±RW DL
However, if you're buying a new one, you might consider HDDVD or Blu-Ray, but I doubt you really have the need and it's very expensive right now (discs as well, so it wouldn't just be the cost of the drive).
The one other format which is only compatible with limited drives is DVD-RAM (no ± on that one). It is like super RW, in that it can be burned up to 1,000,000 times [in theory], whereas RW can only be used 1,000 times [in theory] (and, of course, 1 time for just R). DVD-RAM is weird, and I've never seen it used nor a disc for it (though I think my burner may be compatible). It is Random Access Memory, but I don't think you can use it AS ram, just like ram in it's speed [sorta... it only got at a max of about 5x, which is fairly slow, even on the best burners]. DVD-RAM is also not compatible with most players, I do not think.

Note that the ± confusion does not exist for CDRs, luckily. The - in that is simply a separator, not a differentiating piece of info, like with DVDs.

Back to your original question--
Try using a CDR for this. You can check your DVD player and it should have a logo of "CD-R" somewhere if it can play music CDs. Or just grab a CD and put it in there to see what happens. With any luck it'll work, and ALMOST ALL DVD players do this now.

You may also want to check the player for DVD+R or DVD-R compatibility. It likely will be -R and probably +R, though a handful only support pro discs and +R (you can see how annoying the format competition is, now, especially when you want to send out DVD discs to a friends/family), and older DVD players will not support either.

Also, CD-RW may not play correctly as it is a special rewritable format. You'll want a CD-R, not RW, and you may also want to purchase special* "Music" CD-Rs rather than Data CD-Rs.
*Music CD-Rs are, in fact, not special-- just the opposite: Data CD-Rs are a bit more expensive because you can use them for storing files. Music CD-Rs only do music. Data CD-Rs usually work just fine for music CDs, but on the slight chance that's an issue, I thought I'd mention it.

Sorry for such a long post. In short, just burn a CD with the music and try to play it. 95% chance that'll work.

Johnnymushio
10-06-2007, 07:43 PM
the thing is its not music.. its .ogm

dual audio

with subtitles

english audio, and japanese audio.

ohh isee, i never mentioned it was video, haha. its video, with two languages, and two sets of subs. It's all containted in 1 .ogm file. I would like that file on a cd-r, so I can play it on my dvd player and switch between languaes on subs.

i downloaded this codec to play it in wmp... but the two audios play at the sametime. and the video plays super fast, then slow, then fast, then stops, then normal, then super fast, etc.

lainlives
10-06-2007, 09:08 PM
hmmm. fansubs?, anyway just get a dvd player that supports divx, convert them to divx files then burn as a data disc

Johnnymushio
10-06-2007, 09:20 PM
i just downloaded div x. i play the file on div x or windows media and it plays with japanese and english at the same time.

djr33
10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
DivX, perhaps, but you can't, as far as I know, burn it then choose an audio track. You could burn it twice, once for each, to fake that.

Or, create a VCD, if your DVD player supports it (usually, again, one of the logos on there), AND if you have a VCD application, like a DVD making app, but for VCDs. I know that Toast, for macs (PCs too?), has some ability to do this, but it's limited.
I also have no idea if subtitles are supported.
The only frequent use of VCDs I have seen is for Karaoke players.

That leaves you with DVDs. You'll need a burner and you'll need a program that supports both multiple audio tracks and subtitles, and this won't be the easier/cheaper programs. DVD Studio Pro for a Mac, rather than iDVD, for example. There are various apps out there for PCs, MAYBE even some freeware, but I doubt that.

This isn't just something you can wish into existence... quite difficult, unfortunately.

Johnnymushio
10-06-2007, 10:20 PM
hm i just downloaded a program that made all the other media players i tried obsolete, including the horrible wmp.

now... if only i can find a way to put video on a cd for my dvd player.. if any are intrested in the program, here it is.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cccp-project.net%2F&ei=GQoIR6n2MoHuiAHG5uGVDA&usg=AFQjCNET3KDJQaLzno3ZahRVVefIPSgphg&sig2=K9njSLPvL2tAOmSyg2LZsg

djr33
10-06-2007, 10:24 PM
There are various players, sure, but that doesn't matter if you're looking to put it on a disc ;)

Your best option will be to separate all options then do it as individual files.

lainlives
10-07-2007, 02:39 PM
but vcd can hold about 10-45mins of high quality data

and cccp is teh best codec set ever

djr33
10-07-2007, 09:09 PM
By the way, Johnny, I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet-- ogm is just a container format that holds something else in it. So you'll need to consider that when doing any conversion.