PDA

View Full Version : browser issues

jc_gmk
10-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I have a website up and running that I have tested in most browsers, it works perfectly in most (IE5, IE6, IE7, FireFox, Opera, Safari & Konqueror)

I have just downloaded Netscape and alot of the site doesn't work e.g. my CSS dropdown menu, and some flash pages.

Do you think its worth the effort caterering for Netscape users?

I've had 6,800 visitors this month and only 3 of them were using netscape.
It is a UK site, maybe there aren't many netscape users from the UK? only US?

jscheuer1
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Doesn't sound worth it to me. However, validating your pages might help. I'm curious though, what version of Netscape? If it is the most recent, that's a complicated browser that can be made to render a number of different ways. People who use it as their main browser usually know how to get a page that works in all of those other browsers to render in theirs. If it is an older version, like 7.2 or less, it is out of date.

jc_gmk
10-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Yes I always validate my pages, that's probably why they work so well in all other browsers.
Hmm... intresting you should say its out of date, the netscape.co.uk site says 7.0 is the latest available to the UK.

http://www.netscape.co.uk/netscape/

I'm probably not going to bother then; if thats the latest for the UK no wonder hardly anyone uses it!

Twey
10-04-2007, 04:45 PM
The latest (AOL-owned) Netscape versions can switch between using Gecko (Mozilla's engine, used in Firefox) and Trident (IE/Win's engine). If your site works in IE and Firefox, it should work in Netscape as well, since it doesn't actually have an engine of its own.