PDA

View Full Version : Using Frames

Brian_C_C
10-02-2007, 05:56 PM
I've not used frames for several years, avoiding them considering the browser problems... are frames still an issue with browsers out their? Are they still an issue with linear readers?

djr33
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
linear readers?

frames have some really ugly side effects, such as hiding the current page's url, which does some odd stuff in itself.

frames are almost completely compatible except with perhaps mobile browsers.

framesets, if used properly, can work pretty well in some cases. I'd rather use server side includes (likely php template based), but frames are an option.

iframes cause some odd issues as well, but the general rule is that if javascript is supported in the browser (not that it needs to be enabled), iframes will be as well.

So... both will function for basically everyone visiting your site (again, with the exception of mobile devices), but they aren't the most elegant way to display content.

molendijk
10-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I used to consider framesets as a bad option, particularly because of the fact that 'normal' menus cannot be dropped on top of the frames.
But that problem has been solved (see here (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25009&highlight=frameset)), so I would say that framesets are OK as long as you use them well. As for bookmarking specific pages of a frameset, you have to use workarounds, though.

Arie Molendijk.