ngors
09-24-2007, 01:50 PM
1) Script Title:
image slide shows

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/index.html

3) Describe problem:
Not sure if this is the right forum.

I have a question about compatibility and security features.

I was so happy to find this site and I tried out several slide shows and they all worked no problem.

I figure most people have javascripts enabled and it seems like the browsers these scripts are for are the most popular so I figured most people would have no problem viewing my slide shows.
But then I realized that at my work on IE6 the javascripts don't load until someone clicks this little bar that says "to protect your security IE has restricted this file from showing active content...."
Is there any way to get around this. I'm worried my webpage customers won't click on this. Should I be using some other tool to create slide shows? I don't like the idea of flash since some people won't have downloaded flash.

Any recommendations?

boogyman
09-24-2007, 01:58 PM
that is something that IE does to protect the user from the annoying popups from hell. Javascript is the best way I have found to encorporate slide shows, however you have a few options, you can check if they do have it enabled and if they dont you can display a message saying that they need to enable javascript to have the full effect of the slide show,
or what you should do is design your page in the way so that its still functional without javascript, and thus more accessible. That way the user would only miss out on any transitions that you may have placed on the slide show, but the slideshow will still work.

jscheuer1
09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Unless a user's security is abnormally tight, that only happens locally, as a security measure. As far as IE is concerned, javascript is ActiveX. Click on the bar and click on allow and click on yes. Once your page is live, this will not happen. You can also give your page 'the mark of the web'. That way (in most cases) it will not display the security bar locally either. Put this right after your <html> tag like so:

<html>
<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
<!-- this and above comment should be removed for live, non-demo use -->
<head>

But, navigating away from the page to another local page, or including another local page on it via a frame or an iframe can be problematical if said page does not also have 'the mark of the web' on it.

ngors
09-24-2007, 10:32 PM
I think John hit the nail on the head. I was testing the page out locally. This is good news. I really liked this javascript stuff. I'm not a programmer so I was happy everythin on this dhtml site was set out so simple.