PDA

View Full Version : Standard File Format Problem

Aidanx
09-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey all. Long time since I last posted.

As a long-term Linux user, my total experience of Vista amounts to spitting on the box in which my friend's computer sat with Vista Home Premium preloaded.

Back onto topic, my Uncle plays football for a small league and is trying to download the fixtures for this season. However, the file format is .doc and therefore will only open in Microsoft Word. I have used "Save Target As.." and saved it in multiple different file formats, eg. .txt, .rtf etc., all to no avail. Vista is still attempting to open it in Adobe Reader 8.0 and the only other offered option is by Internet Browser.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to solve this rather irritating and frankly avoidable problem?

Regards,

Aidan

Aidanx
09-22-2007, 03:49 PM
/bump

Twey
09-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Install a program that can open Microsoft Word documents, such as OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/). As a Linux user, you should know that a file format isn't dictated by the extension, and changing the extension to .rtf doesn't automatically convert it to an RTF file.

You were over-zealous with that bump, by the way. I hadn't even seen it for the first time yet.

djr33
09-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Indeed. An hour is far too little time to worry that we won't be responding.

Well, yeah... use MS word. If you don't have that, then use an alternative, like Open Office. No real way around that one.

The code in a .doc is complex and not something you can really understand in notepad, etc.

Frequently, with simple documents, wordpad can display the majority of the text in a readable format, if losing some formatting. (I think wordpad is still included with vista.)

Aidanx
09-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Apologies for the bump.

I have tried opening it with WordPad to no avail; OpenOffice however solved the problem so thanks.