PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help -

pcbrainbuster
09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Sup guys,

I wonder if you lot still remember me :) OK let's get down to buisness -

Recently I starting working with win32 and have gone of console programming(though I admit I'm rushing and as a side note to mwinter: I've learned how to fully work with classes).

And there are a few(lie:p) questions that need answering(yes I've searched Google) -
1) How can I detect when a button has been clicked?
2) What's the difference between HWND and hInstance?
3) How can I get the input from a edit window control?
4) How can I detect the mouse's position?

Thanks.

P.S. - I voted for C++.

boogyman
09-20-2007, 07:56 PM
more descriptive title!!!

tell us WHAT the poll is about, just saying need help doesnt do ANYTHING... please read the descriptive title policy (http://dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24882)

Twey
09-20-2007, 08:20 PM
mwinter has, alas, left these forums for greener pastures.

I really don't suggest you start with Win32 programming. The Win32 API is a hideous C-based monster, and is really only necessary for low-level programming targetted only at Windows machines (obviously working at that low a level kills any hope of portability). I suggest you try a proper C++-based toolkit like MFC (although this is also rather limited), wxWidgets, or Qt.

pcbrainbuster
09-21-2007, 03:05 AM
mwinter has, alas, left these forums for greener pastures.Well that's just sad.

The Win32 API is a hideous C-based monster
I agree with you completely but I still just wanted to go with it for some reason.

I suggest you try a proper C++-based toolkit like MFC (although this is also rather limited), wxWidgets, or Qt.
Don't you mean framework?

Questions-
1) Others still apply

Ironic story -
1) If you think about it JavaScript, HTML and most other client-side (web) programming languages are LIKE frameworks to C++ (obviously not complete) :p

Twey
09-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Don't you mean framework?No, I mean toolkit. A framework is defined by a complete inversion of control, which doesn't happen with any of the toolkits I mentioned, insofar as I know.
If you think about it JavaScript, HTML and most other client-side (web) programming languages are LIKE frameworks to C++ (obviously not complete)That's just silly. Web "programming" languages aren't intended to have such power. They're meant for designing web pages, not applications. If they had any more, they'd be considered bloated (in fact they could be considered so already).

pcbrainbuster
09-21-2007, 06:34 AM
No, I mean toolkit. A framework is defined by a complete inversion of control, which doesn't happen with any of the toolkits I mentioned, insofar as I know.
Thanks for the confusion clearing.

That's just silly. Web "programming" languages aren't intended to have such power. They're meant for designing web pages, not applications. If they had any more, they'd be considered bloated (in fact they could be considered so already).You mis-understand I simply meant that they are like frameworks and that's it...