PDA

View Full Version : Php

Flanny
04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
what is the different between htm and php? :)

cr3ative
04-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Erm, www.google.com?

PHP is a server-side technology which can process data, and HTM is static.

cr3

mwinter
04-18-2005, 01:44 PM
PHP is a server-side technologyReally, it's a generic preprocessor, but it is mainly used to dynamically generate responses to server requests.

[...] HTM is static.HTML is a markup language. There's no such thing as HTM, as far as I know. :p

Markup languages, unlike programming languages, don't 'do' anything. They merely indicate the structure of a document. PHP, on the other hand, permits you to 'do' many things. You might generate a HTML document based on the contents of a database. A PHP script might return image or music data, which is useful for tracking usage, or again, just being dynamic.

Mike

I think Microsoft created the HTM extension as a hack to get around the 8.3 file naming system in pre-Windows '95 operating systems.

cr3ative
04-18-2005, 03:01 PM
I think Microsoft created the HTM extension as a hack to get around the 8.3 file naming system in pre-Windows '95 operating systems.
I wouldn't be at all suprised if they did. I still have all my websites as name.htm, I was just brought up with it like that. In the same respect, I still use the old DOS shortcuts Shift+Insert and Shift+Delete for Paste/Cut. :p

mwinter
04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
I still have all my websites as name.htm :eek: Devil's spawn! :mad:

:D

I still use the old DOS shortcuts Shift+Insert and Shift+Delete for Paste/Cut.I mix the old and the new, just depending where my fingers are at the time.

Mike

jscheuer1
04-20-2005, 07:04 AM
But just think of all the thousands of hours of time saved by typing .htm instead of .html, the productivity gains . . . :D

cr3ative
04-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Won't somebody think of the L key?

THE L KEY!

I mean, if everybody used the L key too often by adding that one character, all the L keys in the world could stop working, leading to a shortage of colossal proportion in the keyboard market!

Prices would rocket as supply would fail to meet demand, and systems worldwide in an effort to keep costs down would be sold without keyboards, resulting in everyone typing using mouse gestures!

Soon, only the world's richest people would be able to afford keyboards, while mountains of non-biodegradable, broken keyboards are forcing landfill sites around the countries to overflow.

I can't take that risk.
I couldn't live with myself... :p

cr3ative