PDA

View Full Version : Help with rss feeder using ajaxtabs

Flashcrawler
09-14-2007, 06:44 PM
1) Script Title:Ajaxtabscontent

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/ajaxtabscontent/

3) Describe problem: I'll try to explain this the best I can. First ill start off with the script.
<ul id="maintab" class="shadetabs">
<li class="selected"><a href="#default" rel="ajaxcontentarea">Top Stories</a></li>
<li><a href="ajaxtabscontent/external.htm" rel="ajaxcontentarea">Under Construction1</a></li>
<li><a href="ajaxtabscontent/external4.htm" rel="ajaxcontentarea" rev="ajaxtabs.css, ajaxtabs.js">Under Construction4</a></li>
</ul>
For example: The external.htm is the script from the rss content builder which I saved using the Iframe method. Lets say I have sports.html (rss script inside this folder) External.htm reads <iframe src="ajaxtabscontent/sports.html" width="550" Height="950" Frameborder=0></iframe>.

The problem Im having is that all my tabs are opening up with the same rss script.
I hope I didnt confuse you too much.
Best regards
Flashcrawler

ddadmin
09-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

Flashcrawler
09-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Sorry about that.
www.flashcrawler.com

ddadmin
09-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Are you sure all the tabs are loading the exact same RSS feed? It seems each tab is different already.

Flashcrawler
09-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Yes they are opening the same one. Rss content refreshes itself at different times. Firs tab should be top stories, second tab Sports, 3rd tab entertainment, 4th Politics and 5ht Science. It keeps reloading Top stories on everytime.
I keep thinking its my Iframe set up..I keep double checking, but cant find the error

Flashcrawler
09-15-2007, 01:14 AM
I forgot to mention I can save Rss content builder either in javascript or php. I chose javascript

Flashcrawler
09-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Sorry it was on my side of the house. You made me think about the feeds and I went back to double check. I had it running the same feed. Not sure how I screwed that one up.
Thanks for checking. You are very helpful.

Flashcrawler
09-15-2007, 01:42 AM
I changed the rss script into the sports folder. Now its reading the same feed on all the Tabs.

ddadmin
09-15-2007, 03:30 AM
Hmm I think I know what's going on. The iframe from the previous tab may be caching the URL inside it, causing the same URL to be shown in subsequent iframes. The issue has to do with the way browsers cache iframe contents, and occurs since you're specifying an iframe for all of the tabs' contents, instead of just one, for example.

Assuming this is the case, you can either try a script dedicated to iframe display, this one (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/tabdocviewer.htm), or wait until I can get an iframe version of Tabs Content up. Probably sometime next week.

Flashcrawler
09-15-2007, 05:51 AM
I really do appreciate your help. I tried the new code but it just comes out blank when I hit the tab button. I was only practicing on the Politics button. I wonder if its the RSS content builder script. I have the script on my desktop and when I open it. It comes up ok, but when I create a Iframe to read the script. It doesnt work. I can always wait until next week.

Flashcrawler
09-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Im using RSS content builder to retrieve news, politics, etc. I really love the look of Yahoo ajax tabs. When I create a aggregator the results is saved through a php or javascript. The default tab is no problem. Its the other tabs that is not reading the scripts. I tried the Iframe technique. Is there something else I can try or use another rss feeder with images that might work. Instead of each tab reading external pages is there a way to make it read the script itself? Any advice would be greatful

Flashcrawler
09-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Im sorry.. I really dont mean to spam, but I keep thinking Im not explaining myself well. My problem is getting a <script> to be retrieved by ajax tab content. Is this possible?

ddadmin
09-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Im sorry.. I really dont mean to spam, but I keep thinking Im not explaining myself well. My problem is getting a <script> to be retrieved by ajax tab content. Is this possible?

Yes and no. The reason why I suggested using iframe is because certain synchronous code within a <script> tag won't work when fetched by Ajax, hence the iframe requirement. One of those cases would be yours. As mentioned, I "should" have an exclusively iframe version of Tab Content up sometime next week (probably late), but another script that will work for sure in the meantime would be Tab Content script (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/tabcontent.htm). The drawback is that each RSS feed isn't retrieved on demand, but all at once when the page loads.