PDA

View Full Version : probably the biggest series of questions ever!

Rockonmetal
09-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok i got 2 questions... jk jk... no i got a lot!
Question 1:
First of all I am looking for a small monitor or computer screen, that I can plug into an old computer the screen only has to be a couple of inches big... no more than 10 please... the computer is just going to be a server and I wanted to have a small screen so I can see what I'm doing *just to make sure...*
Question 2:
Running site off of a server... oooo I'm thinking about doing this since my site's hosting service only allows uploads less than 2 mb. And Its a VIDEO, Picture, and Audio site... so I definitly can't do that... another thing is that I need some sort of tutorial or expert to talk to so I can ask all the questions...

Question 3:
If I don't buy a new server but get an old one (our school is giving away the old computers i think...) these computers are windows 1998 and 95 so I definitly am gonna fix them up to make them a little faster and more effeciant...

Question 4:
I would like to know the basic/average cost of T1 Internet connection that you would get from your ISP. I use comcast and if anyone else has comcast T1 Internet Connection if they could tell me how much that costs or if they can replace that with the usual internet connection... that would be awesome...
If you don't but you have a different one you don't have to tell exactly how much it costs but you could give a range of how much it costs per month or year...

Thanks to all who answer!

Twey
09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
First of all I am looking for a small monitor or computer screen, that I can plug into an old computer the screen only has to be a couple of inches big... no more than 10 please... the computer is just going to be a server and I wanted to have a small screen so I can see what I'm doing *just to make sure...*Servers should be headless -- SSH in.
Question 2:
Running site off of a server... oooo I'm thinking about doing this since my site's hosting service only allows uploads less than 2 mb. And Its a VIDEO, Picture, and Audio site... so I definitly can't do that... another thing is that I need some sort of tutorial or expert to talk to so I can ask all the questions...OK, and? That's not a question. There's not much to setting up a webserver on modern distributions: emerge apache2 (or equivalent) and you're off.
Question 3:
If I don't buy a new server but get an old one (our school is giving away the old computers i think...) these computers are windows 1998 and 95 so I definitly am gonna fix them up to make them a little faster and more effeciant...Again, where's the question?
question

n. a sentence of inquiry that asks for a reply
Question 4:
I would like to know the basic/average cost of T1 Internet connection that you would get from your ISP. I use comcast and if anyone else has comcast T1 Internet Connection if they could tell me how much that costs or if they can replace that with the usual internet connection... that would be awesome...
If you don't but you have a different one you don't have to tell exactly how much it costs but you could give a range of how much it costs per month or year...With the onset of broadband, T1 is probably not the best way to go any more.

thesimplecreator
09-01-2007, 10:52 PM
question 1:look around goodwill or a computer shop they will probably have a small one

question 3:well in my opinion fer question 3 get rid of the windows on those old comps and stick a super small distribution of Linux on them to save space and speed
like a mini-distro loaded with the server software

techno_race
09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
With the onset of broadband, T1 is probably not the best way to go any more.
I have a 100Mbps broadband connection. What about E1 or B1?

thetestingsite
09-16-2007, 06:06 PM
I would actually love to have a DS3 running to my house. That would be great, but I don't have a couple of thousand to waste each month on that. So I guess I'm stuck with a simple 6Mbps/1Mbps DSL connection for $35/month.

Rockonmetal
09-16-2007, 06:49 PM
k lol

ItsMeOnly
09-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a 100Mbps broadband connection.
you don't, unless you're directly tapped to backbone...

Anyway,

Rockonmetal: any sync-frame connections (DS1, DS3 etc.) are steadily replaced by fibre-optic ATM wires and you should be rather thinking about that is you're in for a serious business.

Besides, having a static IP address, you can host your site over 2/6 mbit ADSL connection (usually that would give you max 768 kbit uplink rate, which if fine for a site of moderate traffic).

There are dedicated "systems in a box", operating from flash cards too. Some not bigger than a cigarette box). Remember that a web server doesn't have to have an insane computing power (usually something around P133 is going to do well). Of course if you're up to CPU-intensive tasks, like computer generated images (galleries, CMS, etc.), the more power the better.

Rockonmetal
09-16-2007, 07:40 PM
ok... I'll take that in mind thanks man

ItsMeOnly
09-16-2007, 07:51 PM
As for your questions about old computers, the definite thing to make them faster and more efficient is changing your operating system: you have broad choice from linux, BSDs, Solaris, and now also QNX- which makes you doubt you really need to have P4 for a web server (all will run out off 486- just needs memory management- for so called "swap memory" to function properly, and all are a really nice systems to manage).

you give very vague description of what is the site for and how you're gonna host the video and sound. More outlining would help to give yyou some more directions about system you'd need.

ItsMeOnly
09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
SSH in.
Do NEVER say that again:D. The real servers will be good headless (for they have dedicated console ports, or can be interacted from serial port). PC would be fine headless, until a major hardware failure and need for off-line diagnostics occurs (not mention lack of network response).

Rockonmetal
09-16-2007, 08:04 PM
As for your questions about old computers, the definite thing to make them faster and more efficient is changing your operating system: you have broad choice from linux, BSDs, Solaris, and now also QNX- which makes you doubt you really need to have P4 for a web server (all will run out off 486- just needs memory management- for so called "swap memory" to function properly, and all are a really nice systems to manage).

you give very vague description of what is the site for and how you're gonna host the video and sound. More outlining would help to give yyou some more directions about system you'd need.

My site:
Name: Pureadd
Description: A site which allows users to submit videos, pictures, audio clips to be uploaded. Though only the funniest files get uploaded. If they're not funny then they don't get uploaded to the site.
I have been recommended to use Fusedhosting.net when the current plan I am on runs out. Because they offer better upload speed and better service.

If you have any more questions ask...

ItsMeOnly
09-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, so the biggest problem of yours will not be computing power, it's gonna be disk space. Pictures are fine, however the videos tend to be bigger than 1 meg nowdays- you'll be hitting "no space available" pretty shortly on a single (and old it's even worse- remember BIOS limitations for drive sizes) PC. Therefore you'd be needing a dedicated storage devices (SCSI storage for example) to overcome shortcomings of the server. Secondly, DSL won't be enough unless you can negotiate for no transfer limit, which most ISPs enforce. Besides, even with DS3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DS3) you'll have a bottleneck, you'll be needing more than one.

As for any type of hosting: if you look at available space and transfer limits- and do simple math, you'll easily conclude that any form of hosting will be difficult to satisfy the needs for such site. Unless of course, it's just for a few buddies- that'll will change things completely.

Rockonmetal
09-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm getting you except for whats a DS3? Ok, The fusedhosting offers up to 100g uploads i think, and its pretty cheap... for like $100 you get 1T and 100g max upload size

Twey
09-16-2007, 09:20 PM
The real servers will be good headless (for they have dedicated console ports, or can be interacted from serial port). PC would be fine headless, until a major hardware failure and need for off-line diagnostics occurs (not mention lack of network response).I'm not sure I'm understanding you right. You're trying to say that a 'real server' would be fine headless, but a server OS on a normal machine wouldn't because it would crash? They tend to be roughly the same, just less powerful. Administering a server via hardware is bad practice.

ItsMeOnly
09-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Administering a server via hardware is bad practice.
Well, take a notice: most servers have dedicated console port. Only few PCs I know of can pull console on anything other than graphics adapter and you can diagnose hardware errors without prior running, if you even can, the operating system that redirect output to something like serial port- the "buried shovel" syndrome. If a true server malfunctions, you can still gain access from dedicated, like on serial port, console, where you can perform hardware maintenance.

techno_race
09-16-2007, 10:59 PM
If you want to manually upload the files via FTP, the hosting I'm on offers great upload service for relatively cheap...
http://www.webhero.com
Note:
don't try to buy hosting from them in firefox... ;)
or an isp? I get great service under WildBlue...
http://www.wildblue.net
ftp client
google!!!!!!!
filezilla?

Twey
09-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, take a notice: most servers have dedicated console port. Only few PCs I know of can pull console on anything other than graphics adapter and you can diagnose hardware errors without prior running, if you even can, the operating system that redirect output to something like serial port- the "buried shovel" syndrome. If a true server malfunctions, you can still gain access from dedicated, like on serial port, console, where you can perform hardware maintenance.Every Linux kernel I've seen has included the netconsole module, which allows access to input and output via (amongst other things) the serial port. More to the point, running headed really isn't an option when your server is in a datacentre in Manchester :) Virtualisation helps a bit.