PDA

View Full Version : Vista

techno_race
08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
haha, finally, somewhere other than the lounge to discuss software/hardware! :)
Thank you for the new forum! (and it actually happened after February--only the second noteworthy thing, yet, it had to happen on the one day that I couldn't use the computer...) :p
I wonder what'll happen if I miss a month... ;)
Thank you for moving some of my previous threads ("Computer Stupidies" was the first one I noticed), and, again, thank you for this forum itself.

Anyway,
There must've been anti-Vista posted here over 100 times. And I just thought you should know that there's nothing to worry about. There is NOTHING wrong with Vista. And, how can you say it's bad when you haven't even tried it? If your computer meets the requirements, go for it. If you find Aero a little mind-boggling, you can revert to the Windows NT 4.0/2000/2003 look or even the Windows 95/98 look. But not the XP, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 3.2* or NT 3.0 look in the Personalization panel.

*Only released in Simplified Chinese.

lainlives
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
It dont run my 16-bit apps so it is useless to me...

Dont even say compatablity mode because it dont work.

techno_race
08-31-2007, 04:54 PM
That's why I didn't upgrade to Vista from Windows 3.1. :p

Twey
08-31-2007, 08:08 PM
You may think that, but you should read Peter Gutmann's by-now-rather-famous article, A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html).

It does come with significantly increased security measures as well (actual security, protecting the system from external attackers rather than "protecting" the system from its owner), and if not for the DRM and disproportionally increased hardware specs (which are largely a result of that DRM), I'd say it was a definite improvement over XP. However, I don't see anything that XP or Vista offer that isn't offered by Linux, at least that I'd ever use for purposes other than testing. Until Microsoft release something that's actually decisively better than Free offerings, rather than the current collection of "comparatively pants" and "roughly equal" software, I'll consider buying it -- although I'm also liable to decide that it's not worth the risk of running untrusted software to whose source code I have no access on my network. My current testing installation is XP Professional; it runs in a qemu VM and doesn't have network access. Oh, and the EULAs on some versions of Vista prohibit running in a VM.

Rockonmetal
08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Some people say the security software *windows* is a pain in the... well, when I get vista, i just will take it off... he he he he, mlmao! but it just looks so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twey
08-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Some people say the security software *windows* is a pain in the...It just has a decent basic permission system, as found in UNIX systems for the last couple of decades. It's not really a pain once you get used to it, although the interface for Vista could do with some tweaking, from what I've seen. Disabling it would be possibly one of the stupidest things you could do -- you'd be left with what's basically an insanely slow XP with glass.
but it just looks so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That's really not a good reason to change operating systems, especially with so many disadvantages as well :) If it's just the eye-candy you want, exactly the same effects can be achieved with Windows XP and some DLL hacking (as demonstrated by lainlives), or X11 with Beryl, Compiz, or Compiz Fusion.

tech_support
09-01-2007, 02:25 AM
There is NOTHING wrong with Vista.
To the average consumer, but have you tried exploring Windows yet? I mean kernel hacking, modifying DLLs, attempting to hack, etc.

lainlives
09-01-2007, 02:55 AM
I modify windows all the time

but only thing i did to vista really was disabled some stuff they didnt want me to disable

Twey
09-01-2007, 12:12 PM
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2053834&SiteID=25

Microsoft customer service! No Aero 'til Tuesday, all you bad pirates!

... oh wait, the pirates will have WGA validation disabled, so the only people who suffer from this are genuine purchasers. Oh well.

lainlives
09-01-2007, 02:55 PM
i have a genuine xp but i take off WGA after every update because it uses resources, and makes logon longer, I also decrypted many the windows system files to reduce the boot to a few seconds, i will eventually learn to do this to vista, and mabey i could make vista not so... vistaish

techno_race
09-02-2007, 03:49 PM
To the average consumer, but have you tried exploring Windows yet? I mean kernel hacking, modifying DLLs, attempting to hack, etc.
yep... You can remove the UAC prompts in the Control Panel.