PDA

View Full Version : Image Thumbnail Viewer in IE 5.2

robinboast
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
1) Script Title: Image Thumbnail Viewer

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail.htm

3) Describe problem: I am using the Image Thumbnail Viewer for a gallery page and it works fine in all browsers but IE. In particular, in IE 5.2 for the Mac, I don't get the floating image window coming up when I click on the thumbnail. All it does is to go to another browser window with the image (as usual with a linked image). I have separate CSS for IE, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

jscheuer1
08-31-2007, 04:48 PM
IE Mac is a legacy browser. Not all legacy browsers are capable of doing modern DHTML scripts. Having the image open, as you are experiencing in IE Mac, is a fall back for older browsers, and for those with javascript disabled.

robinboast
09-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Thank you John for the reply. I suspected as much, and am not overly keen for people to use IE for Mac, but my boss wanted me to try.

jscheuer1
09-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, it is possible that the script could be modified to also work in IE Mac. It is also possible that this might not be able to be done easily or at all. IE Mac wasn't that horrible of a browser, just tricky in many ways (non-standard, while at the same time often not doing the typical IE non-standard sorts of things).

I don't have access to a Mac running IE, so I cannot test this out myself for you.

Just as as test, if you haven't done so already, try loading the demo page of the script here on Dynamic Drive into IE Mac. If that works, the solution shouldn't be too complicated.

There are other similar scripts. Lightbox, slimbox, and thickbox are just a few I can think of off hand. Perhaps one of those might work in IE Mac. But I have a feeling that the IE Mac browser is just too old.

Anyone still using IE Mac as their primary browser must be by now used to having odd experiences with many, if not the majority of web pages they try viewing with it.