PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP... Very simple Question........Regarding CMOTION......

Bluesage07
08-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi,

I know this is terribly lame, but i have been out of it for a while.

I am at a loss as to how to insert C motion Gallery into a existing HTML page ?

Do i need to set links referring to the external .Css and .Js files ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

In short, im just wanting to add Cmoton to a page. and i have completely forgotten the steps involved.

Any help be GREATLY APPRECIATED!, *and will bring you a lifetimes supply of good Karma LOL :P

djr33
08-30-2007, 07:27 AM
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/cmotiongallery.htm

That's the directions and it's explained pretty clearly.

If you get stuck along the way, tell us where and we can probably help.

Bluesage07
08-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Im not sure on where to place the .css and .js files ?

So far, i have placed the first script in the "header" section of the code.

As for inserting the other html piece in the BODY section, this is where i get confused.

Do i insert it into a Table ? . Do i have to link anything that refers to those external .css and .js docs ? do they belong in a particular folder ? or do i just dump them in with everything else ?

djr33
08-30-2007, 09:23 AM
The files are referenced with their respective tags, like <script .... src="something.js">
If there isn't anything else than just a filename, they go in the same folder. If it said "myfolder/something.js", then you'd put them in a folder.

As for body... here's the basic layout of a (valid) webpage:

<html>
<head>
<title>>Hi</title>
////scripts
////CSS
</head>
<body>
your stuff here
</body>
</html>
In short, there are two sections of the page, within <html>...</html>, the <head> and the <body>. Head sets up the page. Do you want it to automatically refresh? Use a script? Set the styles? Character encoding? Title? General properties for the page? Body, on the other hand, just is the content. It's where stuff goes, and can use the content of the <head> section to style/modify it.

I'd suggest taking a look at some html tutorials.

http://w3schools.com is a good place to start.

Bluesage07
08-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks Djr........

I will absolutely, i need to brush up.

The problem now, is how to get Cmotion centered correctly inside a IFRAME, so it appears seamless.

I am guessing this is the only way to display Cmoton on a exsisting page ? I tryed putting it into a table, and it would not scroll.

Lastly, if i was to give you log in details, would you be able to take a look for me ?

I am even willing to make a small donation, if you can assist me on this one occasion!........ *sigh* yeah im that desperate.

It sounds so simple.

A very basic html page. I just wanted Cmotion located bottom center, continious and scrolling on page load.

djr33
08-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Take a look at the developer's view.

I think it might, at least for this script, but a little easier to follow.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/cmotiongallery_dev.htm

In the javascript, you'll find this near the top:
//1) Set width of the "neutral" area in the center of the gallery.
var restarea=6;
//2) Set top scroll speed in pixels. Script auto creates a range from 0 to top speed.
var maxspeed=7;
//3) Set to maximum width for gallery - must be less than the actual length of the image train.
var maxwidth=1000;
//4) Set to 1 for left start, 0 for right, 2 for center.
var startpos=0;
//5) Set message to show at end of gallery. Enter "" to disable message.
var endofgallerymsg='<span style="font-size: 11px;">End of Gallery</span>';You should be able to just edit those values, including the one for centering.

Certainly shouldn't need to put it in an iframe.

Bluesage07
08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
:( . I cannot understand. Why wont it scroll now ?

This is proving much more difficult then it should be :(

Bluesage07
08-30-2007, 01:41 PM
DJR33

Ive sent you a e-mail...........

I've had it...... it's 12am, ive been on this since 1pm today :(.................

I know you owe me nothing, but i am asking for your educated help....

Now i am off to go beat the crap out of some pillows LOL or do Yoga or something ! *SIGH*

jscheuer1
08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
It really is pretty easy if you just follow the instructions on the demo page. I'm not sure whether or not all of the advice you have received in this thread was clear or not though. In any case, the easiest way for any of us to help you is for you to just do the best that you can and then put that page up (working or not) live somewhere that we can have a look at it.

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

djr33
08-31-2007, 02:23 AM
Well, I'm confused.
The ftp is denying me access (based on the login info you sent with the email, which I obviously won't be posting here).

The source code has a ton of javascript in it, which *might* cause some trouble interacting with cmotion. not sure on that. However, I don't really see where you want it inserted. Do you just want to replace the current design with cmotion entirely? Can that other javascript be removed?

I would recommend taking the "developer's view" source code and starting your page over based on that. Then just add in your existing code (*Save a backup of your page first!*) to the new page, and it should be fine.

Since I can't see what you tried, I have no idea why it wasn't working.

http://www.esolute.com/ is the page, John, if you want to take a look.

jscheuer1
08-31-2007, 03:08 AM
There is no Cmotion script on that page. It does have a body onload event which would screw up Cmotion if it were on it. But, you should just be able to add the Cmotion init code to it:

<BODY bgColor=#719fff background="images/esolubg.gif" topMargin=20
onload="fillup();MM_preloadImages('images/overnetwith.jpg','images/overhostingbay.jpg','images/overebookwho.jpg','images/overfreetosell.jpg','images/overstitchland.jpg','images/overdomestic.jpg')">

Once you do that, you should remove this line:

window.onload=fillup;

from the motiongallery.js file.

Bluesage07
08-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks Daniel, for your trouble.

Jschsuer,

What causes Cmotion not to scroll, when it's placed in a table ?. And can i ask how you went about placing it on the Demo page ? .

Im just finding it almost impossible to place Cmotion on this page.

It's very basic page, i just want to insert a small 100 px X 800px horizontal
scroller (cmotion) at the bottom center , just between the texts.

Do i use Tables ? IFRAME ? or somehow place it as you have managed on the Demo page ? .

Second day now :( .

jscheuer1
08-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Well, the way this usually works is, you do your best at following the directions and then upload the result somewhere I can see it. That should give me the best possible idea of what you are trying to do and what, if any problems remain.

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

Bluesage07
08-31-2007, 06:23 AM
ill up it somewhere right away ! :)!!

Bluesage07
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Rightio !

Finally i have managed to get it working !! :) :)

Now there are only two small problems remaining.

1. In Firefox, the Gallery appears off centre.

and i know this has been answered but what do i need to edit to

BOTH auto-start on page load

AND continuously scroll ?

http://www.atmospheredjs.com.au/

jscheuer1
08-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Before we deal with the FF centering issue, let's make sure we are using the right script. If you want auto start with continuous scrolling, it sounds to me as though you want a marquee tag, or perhaps the Conveyor Belt Slideshow:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/leftrightslide.htm

Here is a variation on Conveyor that you might like:

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/conveyor_left_or_right.htm

Bluesage07
08-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Oh man !!! LOL

:eek: :eek:

edit :

thank god! that was a lot easier :P. Third Day and finally it is done just how i had imagined it. Even though the page itself is about as attractive as a dog's ass
i am still really happy with the result!. I have enjoyed this whole process! :) .(well i think i enjoyed the ending more LOL)
I am not sure what i would have done without this forum and you guys...

The last remaining problem, is not exclusive to these scripts. For some reason Fire Fox is inncorrectly displaying the content of a Table with Center Alignment.

Any thoughts on this ? .

www.atmospheredjs.com.au

PS: This isn't my company, it's the guy a work for :)

jscheuer1
09-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Before I start, I just want to note that the page is non-standard, and I am not even going to attempt to correct that here.

For some reason Fire Fox is inncorrectly displaying the content of a Table with Center Alignment

Actually FF (and others) have it right. A table with center alignment only means that the table itself shall appear centered. To get the content of any given cell to appear centered, usually you need to specify that as well. It can get complicated with scripts, and sometimes even with ordinary content. However, after mocking up your page here, I found that using:

. . . <table width="600" height="150" border="0" align="center">
<tr>
<th scope="col" align="center"> <script type="text/javascript">

/***********************************************
* Conveyor belt slideshow script- Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code
***********************************************/

//Specify the slider's . . .

Took care of the problem in FF without hurting IE.

Bluesage07
09-02-2007, 04:13 AM
haha :P....

John, you rock.

Good Karma to you! and a sincere THANKYOU!

Dean......:)