View Full Version : Rich HTML Balloon Tooltip Consuming High CPU

isqueenie
08-29-2007, 03:56 AM
1) Script Title:
Rich HTML Balloon Tooltip

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/balloontooltip.htm

3) Describe problem:
I've developed a page to have, say hundreds of links that use the balloon tooltip. When the page first load, it consumes 100% CPU every time. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!
Queenie

jscheuer1
08-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Get a better browser and/or CPU. Seriously though, loading any complex page will demand a large portion of CPU usage. How long does it remain at 100%? If it is for like 8 to 20 seconds, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it is for a minute or more, there is some kind of problem. Be aware that loading images takes up CPU usage too, so the more bytes worth of images that your page loads, the more CPU usage it will need. The same is true of Flash and other plug ins. Virtually everything on your page requires some CPU usage to load.

isqueenie
08-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was just wondering if there is a dynamic way to do it, instead of initializing the page to scan for the "rel" attribute all over again. It works very well for a static page. But for any change to a page with dynamic content (e.g. using AJAX), adding just one link will have to do a full init to the whole page.