PDA

View Full Version : RSS Display Box reloading blog page.

BryanA.
08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
1) Script Title: RSS Display Box

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/rssdisplaybox/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I am able to have it show up within a blog built with textpattern. But gone are the little gif animations indicating that the stories are loading. If there are 13 stories, the page reloads 13 times!

I know far too little about coding to determine where the trouble is or what I can do to get around it. I love Dynamic Drive! Please help.

BryanA.
08-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Can I get a treat? I just had a successful brainfart.

Textpattern uses Forms to call up functional parts of the site - I put the RSS Display Boxes in the Footer and just stuck the 'demo.htm' code right in after locking in the location of main.php

I zapped out the RSS's I didn't want and reformatted the box I did want.

13 items in the feed kept reloading, reloading 13 times. What I still had in there was the old HTML code for <head> and <body> open and closed. Both of which were not needed. Deleting them from the Form made the reloading go away.

-S-o-l-v-e-d-.-

ddadmin
08-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I assume you managed to fix all the problems already then?

BryanA.
08-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Actually, no. While I got it to stop loading the page, it trips after showing the first two of X feeds.

Ex. 1 of 13 and hit the "+" to see the second; no trouble. Hit the "+" again and the page reloads back to 1 of 13.

http://www.dinarius.com/ATF

I am using the NYTIMES 'default' just redesigned and given a .gif background.
If you mess with it, you'll see that whatever pattern is in the error is a strange one.

ddadmin
08-29-2007, 10:05 PM
There may be other issues, but you should first fix the CSS one:

#nytimesid{
width: 760px;
height: 36px;

Either remove the code in red, or give it a large enough value so each entry fits inside the box (ie: 250px).

BryanA.
08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
WTF? I bumped it up to 144px - more than enough space as you can see - and the damn thing works just fine now.

I left it 36 because it just ignored me anyway and that was the .gif height.

I don't suppose you could explain why fixing the height stabilized the code?

Very grateful, naturally.

ddadmin
08-31-2007, 03:59 AM
The height shouldn't cause the content to reload, but then again, at the original "36px", I couldn't tell what it was doing, since the content was basically hidden as a result. :)