PDA

View Full Version : graphics or ram?

nekum
08-20-2007, 06:47 AM
I am frequent user of autocad2008, 3ds max 8, phtoshopcs2 9.0. but, i my computer don't allow me to run these applicatons smoothly.My system configuration is Pentium 4, 3.06 Ghz, Intel 915GV chipset, 80Gb harddisk, 512Mb ram. Now a days my system always shows high cpu usage (>50%). What should i do now?More ram or graphics card or something else???

boxxertrumps
08-20-2007, 07:12 AM
disable a few background services you don't need and run a few malware checks.
CPU % and ram are not correlated, one dictates number of operations being preformed out of maximum # of operations a sec. and the other stores info that can be quickly accessed by the CPU.

EDIT: oh wait, B&.

jscheuer1
08-20-2007, 07:33 AM
EDIT: oh wait, B&.

What's B&?

boxxertrumps
08-20-2007, 07:36 AM
b is b.
& is and.
band.
banned?

jscheuer1
08-20-2007, 07:41 AM
b is b.
& is and.
band.
banned?

Don't you just H8 when that happens?

Twey
08-20-2007, 08:05 AM
EDIT: oh wait, [banned].Doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't answer -- the information might still help others, after all.

tech_support
08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I am frequent user of autocad2008, 3ds max 8, phtoshopcs2 9.0. but, i my computer don't allow me to run these applicatons smoothly.My system configuration is Pentium 4, 3.06 Ghz, Intel 915GV chipset, 80Gb harddisk, 512Mb ram. Now a days my system always shows high cpu usage (>50%). What should i do now?More ram or graphics card or something else???
You could get more RAM. Those look like memory-intensive programs.

Sliight
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Assuming you're running XP... 512M of RAM is the min you'd ever want for that OS. The first thing I did when I took a new position recently, was pop the case and install 2 gigs of old ddr1 RAM that I had sitting around. To me, RAM is the cheapest speed boost you can buy. The prices have dropped so much these days, it's probably the least expensive boost for your current machine.

If you have a Fry's Electronics around... they tend to have really cheap separate pieces. They have insanely cheap motherboard/processor combos too, if you decide to rebuild. Although I don't think you need to... just get 2 gigs of RAM. (Keep in mind XP maxes out at 4 gigs of RAM, in case you decide to go RAM happy)

boogyman
08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
as boxxer said you probably have alot of malware products running on your computer. I have 512mb of RAM in my laptop and I can run CS2 9.0 fine.

depending on what programs you choose to run at every start up you should have between 30-35 processes running. do a reboot and see how many processes you are running initially... I think the default without editing the file for Windows XP is like 40-45. but there are a good 10-15 programs included in the OS software that are really novelty items rather then essential.

lainlives
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
everyone beat me to it

just a question, why was he banned

jscheuer1
08-20-2007, 08:16 PM
everyone beat me to it

just a question, why was he banned

Two ways of looking at it I can see:

1 ) He posted like 5 or so 'stock' questions in several forums in rapid succession, all with the same advertisement attached. This made it pretty clear that he was either a 'bot' or a person here mainly for self promotion.

or:

2 ) Twey gave him an infraction (about the advert) which he ignored and posted it again. Twey gave him another infraction. He obviously ignored both. I independently gave him a similar infraction. The points added up to more than 20 - instant ban.

boxxertrumps
08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I have 1 1/2gbs of ram in my computer, and the time it takes for programs to boot up has significantly decreased from when i had 1/2gb...
right now the only cap i have for performance is my CPU, it's only (lol, only...) 2.8ghz. most of it is occupied by the protein folding client i have running (90-60% is used by the client, rest is OS and other apps), i'm worried it'll explode or something if maxed at 100% for too long.
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=boxxertrumps
not very impressive, but a start.

lainlives
08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
overclock the cpu

jscheuer1
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
protein folding client

I'll have two dogs, sunny side up please. Make any interesting prions recently?

boxxertrumps
08-21-2007, 07:30 AM
I dont know, how would i check?
(no GUI for linux upsets me...)

tech_support
08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I have 1 1/2gbs of ram in my computer, and the time it takes for programs to boot up has significantly decreased from when i had 1/2gb...
It depends on how fast the RAM is. I have a friend with 2gb of DDRII 553Mhz and his programs load significantly faster on my computer (1gb DDRII 800Mhz)

it's only (lol, only...) 2.8ghz.
Dual-Core? My computer's 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo.

most of it is occupied by the protein folding client i have running (90-60% is used by the client, rest is OS and other apps),
50% on both cores here.... and my stuff still runs fine.

i'm worried it'll explode or something if maxed at 100% for too long.
I wonder what will happen to servers then...

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=boxxertrumps
Owned. (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=alotofstuffhere) :D

Sliight
08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Someone mentioned malware... you can dowload spypot and ad-aware, as well as avast antivirus from www.cnet.com (download sections). Run those and see what comes up. You can also click "start" "run" then type "msconfig" and click the startup tab. See what all is starting when your computer boots. Don't mess with things you don't recognize, but you can dump quicktime, adobe, and other items that you don't need to have run at start up. They just save you a small amount of time if you ever use their programs...

One of the cheapest fixes out there for speed is a complete system wipe. Granted, this isn't something that happens fast... plan on an afternoon to re-install everything. Be sure you have your OS disc, and all other program discs as well. If you don't have a nice external flash drive, you may have to burn your data onto discs to keep it though...which is SLOWWWW....

If you decide on a full wipe...be sure and create a few partitions on your drive. This way you can wipe the OS partition and start fresh the next time around.

I think the fastest and easiest though is a RAM upgrade with a full scan of the system to remove crap. Be sure and run a bootup scan, as many nasties can hide otherwise...

boxxertrumps
08-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Dual-Core? My computer's 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo.
Single. Celeron D

Owned. (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=alotofstuffhere) :D
/me feels inadequate.

tech_support
08-22-2007, 09:00 AM
/me feels inadequate.
Haha. You'll get there, don't worry.

Single. Celeron D
*Shock*

lainlives
08-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Celeron D's are the best single core CPU's I have ever seen

tech_support
08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Celeron D's are the best single core CPU's I have ever seen
For the basic requirements. Pentium 4 is pretty good.

lainlives
08-23-2007, 05:19 PM
For the basic requirements. Pentium 4 is pretty good.

but i overclock a p4 and i kill them fast

i hate keeping anything on my machine factory which includes clock frequencies

Twey
08-23-2007, 07:05 PM
You could always underclock it.

boogyman
08-23-2007, 07:31 PM
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=boxxertrumps

what the heck is folding@home?
im lost :confused:

Twey
08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
It's a distributed project to model protein folding.

Rai_87
04-25-2008, 10:13 AM
u should add more RAM to ur pc and if necessary close some unwanted application let it run faster....... i faced the same problem as u when i play some games the cpu usage will reach 100%