PDA

View Full Version : Silently open files

Zaph
04-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I've got a quick question here. Is it possible to code a link so that it opens a file on a users HDD silently, without the pop up box for open/save?

What i have on my intranet (that again!) is a menu of links (using the AnyLink DD menu) which points to the .exe files for MS Office programs, eg. excel.exe, etc.

I was wondering if it I could clean it up by getting rid of the option to save the file, when it si already on their drive.

The link is simply:

menu4[1]='<a href="C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/OFFICE11/EXCEL.EXE">Excel</a>'

Thanks.

jscheuer1
04-09-2005, 05:48 PM
You may want to check out this from the MSDN Library:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsobjactivexobject.asp
I have no experience with it but, it looks like it might be useful.

ddadmin
04-09-2005, 06:37 PM
The reason for the pop up is obviously- security reasons. Even if there's a way around this, please note that we probably wouldn't want to share it.

Zaph
04-09-2005, 10:41 PM
The reason for the pop up is obviously- security reasons. Even if there's a way around this, please note that we probably wouldn't want to share it.

I realise this, but thought there might be a way around it as it is for an internal intranet which is published on a server on site. technically, all users wont be online, so I thought there might be a way to change the "Local Intranet" security settings of IE (the only browser we use - unfortunately ;) ) to work around it.

It's more for aesthetics then anything else, and also to stop some of the less computer literate members of staff from clicking on save by accident and creating extra copies of the .exe files. :rolleyes:

Would there be a way to achieve this without compromising other internet security settings?

jscheuer1
04-09-2005, 11:30 PM
There are a host of security settings in IE for Local Intranet:

Tools - Internet Options - Security - Local Intranet - Custom Level

Particularly settings for ActiveX. One or some of those in conjunction with what I mentioned above should do it. You would have to have your users configure their settings or find a way to do it globally for them. This is outside my area of experience but, the direction I'm suggesting looks promising to me, were I in your shoes, I'd investigate it.

Zaph
04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
This is outside my area of experience but, the direction I'm suggesting looks promising to me, were I in your shoes, I'd investigate it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look into it and see what happens.

Martyn.