PDA

View Full Version : Where to get photos for web design?

lilya
08-14-2007, 02:46 PM
I am looking for photos to add to new websites I am designing. I am against taking someone else photos and using them for my self. So where can I get some for free use or a small royalty fee?

[MODERATOR NOTE: This topic is now closed, due to spam replies; if you desire to reply or have a question regarding the thread, feel free to send a PM to myself or another moderator (you can find a link here in my profile: djr33 (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/member.php?u=7939)).]

jscheuer1
08-14-2007, 05:14 PM
http://www.sxc.hu/home

http://yotophoto.com/

chasingmoments
01-15-2008, 03:50 AM
I am looking for photos to add to new websites I am designing. I am against taking someone else photos and using them for my self. So where can I get some for free use or a small royalty fee?

Hi, I am new, just browsing some of the script threads here... I myself am a photographer, this link on my site lists some of the major stock agencies... might be useful for you to browse - for web designers images go as cheap as $1 without buying a subscription for web resolution...

The best site for buying single images is probably dreamstime - easy to navigate, great collection of images, loads fast, well organized to view pictures. For heavy-duty image needs run with shutterstock.

Best, Olga

chasingmoments
01-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks for deleting the link, sorry I didn't wanna come across like this.

jscheuer1
01-16-2008, 06:06 AM
No problem, that's why it was a 'no points' warning this time. If you stick around and fully participate in the forums here for awhile, eventually you can have a link to your site in your signature if you like. We do however discourage any kind of promotional links until we can be certain you are not a bot (which seems pretty clear now), and that you are not just passing through for a quick plug (the jury is still out on that one).

chasingmoments
01-20-2008, 04:38 PM
No problem, that's why it was a 'no points' warning this time. If you stick around and fully participate in the forums here for awhile, eventually you can have a link to your site in your signature if you like. We do however discourage any kind of promotional links until we can be certain you are not a bot (which seems pretty clear now), and that you are not just passing through for a quick plug (the jury is still out on that one).

Ok :) got it :) thanks

Shotgun Ninja
01-25-2008, 11:06 PM

What types of websites are they? Furthermore, what types of images did you have in mind, structural, promotional, or decorative images?

evan
01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
I started with Adobe Bridge and going to places like Getty images that sell "Royalty Free" stock photos and art.

I was introduced to istockphoto and I like them because they let you choose how to buy you photos/art. For example if you go to getty or use Adobe's tool to network with a whole bunch of sites, then you see once you purchase them, you will pay between $50 and $250 (sometimes more or less) to use them.

That being said -It's OK to download the watermaked thumbnails and comps to make presentation pieces for clients (don't buy anything until clients give the ok and also some $$$).

Istock will sell you Pictures for as low a a buck (or for $50 depending on the contract)-if it's for a "one off" type of job -such as a web banner.

Why so cheap? because Royalty Free means you get virtually unlimited use of the picture -and that applies mostly to print. You can call them up and they are easy to get ahold of if you have questions. I also think Istock should pay me every time I recommend them lol.

id-esigns
02-16-2008, 07:01 PM
you can get images from shutter stock or istock site

All the best
id-esigns

mrmagoo144
02-16-2008, 09:34 PM
great site to get images from - none for free - but very inexpensive.
mrmagoo144

EZ Royalty Free
02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
This seems like a good place to have a dialog instead of starting a new thread... I have been approached by a template developer that has a problem with the "royalty free" images available from the popular distribution companies. All of them limit the use - you can not redistribute the image in a template with the standard "royalty free" license. You have to pay much more for a redistribution license for this use.

Are others seeing this problem? I started a blog elsewhere to get feedback on this issue, but I do not want to link to it at this point otherwise the moderators will probably want to remove me... I included a link in a different post this morning... sorry.

I want to see what developers need in the way of images to be included in templates. I may be able to come up with a product that will allow developers to acquire an extensive image library that they can use for designs without ever needing to worry about royalty issues.