PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Marquees?

scrvtch
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
1) Script Title: Cross Browser Marquee II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee2.htm

3) Describe problem:

Thanks for your help;

Now I have another problem. I'd like the marquees to extend to the very bottom of the page's content so if scrolled down, they will continue to the very bottom of the page. I've tried setting the height to 100% but that only makes them the initial browser height, so when the page is scrolled, the marquees stop where the browser was. Any ideas? I tried searching for a solution on google, and it appears that some javascript is needed to do this but couldn't find any scripts that would work for my situation.

Thanks for your help!
Thanks Edit/Delete Message

jscheuer1
08-06-2007, 04:32 AM
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=102788

scrvtch
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=102788

Ah thank you for your reply, I didn't think of searching the forums before I posted, sorry. :(

Now I have another problem. I'd like the marquees to extend to the very bottom of the page's content so if scrolled down, they will continue to the very bottom of the page. I've tried setting the height to 100% but that only makes them the initial browser height, so when the page is scrolled, the marquees stop where the browser was. Any ideas? I tried searching for a solution on google, and it appears that some javascript is needed to do this but couldn't find any scripts that would work for my situation.

Thanks for your help!

jscheuer1
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
In many browsers, 100% will not make them even the height of the browser.

What you are talking about would need to be almost an entirely different script. It really wouldn't do to simply get the page height, because the user's screen might be higher than that, much higher in some cases. That might not even be desirable. It could look odd if there weren't enough other content on the page. Also, if the height is set in response to the user's dimensions, you could run out of content for the marquee if it grew too tall. If one were to do this, I think you would want to set to the smallest height of the page or the browser and if that were the browser, fix the top position at the top of the user's window. You would have to make multiple copies of the marquee content should they be required to fill it out on tall screens. In essence, you would have an 'on the fly' custom marquee depending upon the user's dimensions. So, should those change, everything would need to be re-calculated.

I'm not sure if this is something I would want to work on, as it could be just another idea that sounds nice, but that wouldn't really work out all that well in reality.

scrvtch
08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
In many browsers, 100% will not make them even the height of the browser.

What you are talking about would need to be almost an entirely different script. It really wouldn't do to simply get the page height, because the user's screen might be higher than that, much higher in some cases. That might not even be desirable. It could look odd if there weren't enough other content on the page. Also, if the height is set in response to the user's dimensions, you could run out of content for the marquee if it grew too tall. If one were to do this, I think you would want to set to the smallest height of the page or the browser and if that were the browser, fix the top position at the top of the user's window. You would have to make multiple copies of the marquee content should they be required to fill it out on tall screens. In essence, you would have an 'on the fly' custom marquee depending upon the user's dimensions. So, should those change, everything would need to be re-calculated.

I'm not sure if this is something I would want to work on, as it could be just another idea that sounds nice, but that wouldn't really work out all that well in reality.

Wow, I didn't realize it would be that complicated... Hmm. Do you know of any other ways a similar effect could be achieved? (a marquee on the side of the page no matter where the viewer is viewing from?) Specifically, I was wondering if it would be possible for the marquee to be set to the browser height (with height: 100% or something else.. you said it doesn't work like that in all browsers...) and then have the marquee move with the scroll bar like the floating images II script?

(http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/flyimage2.htm)

Or even better, is there a way for the marquees to remain still while the rest of the content scrolls?

EDIT: So i did some researching and discovered position:fixed; which seems to be working exactly as I want it to. (in firefox.. >< haven't tested anything else yet.) So unless anyone has any better suggestions I guess I'll just stick with that. :P Thanks again!

Thanks.