PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Browser Settings

ars
08-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi All,

Is there any way to detect certain browser settings such as "user datapersistence", "disable script debugging", found under Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab on IE in Java.

I have also posted this topic in Javascript thread.
See it here (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23288).

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Ars

Twey
08-03-2007, 09:56 AM
It's certainly possible. However, it would most likely require signing the applet. There's probably a better way to do whatever you want to achieve.

ars
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks,

Can you please explain me how to do that?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Ars

Twey
08-03-2007, 10:10 AM
You'd have to find where the settings were stored in Windows and read them. Of course, it would fail if the user was using an operating system other than Windows, or a different browser other than IE.

I'm still waiting to hear what you're hoping to do.

ars
08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks,

For running my Application over web, users have to set these requirements on their browsers. So here, i want that, before logging on to my app my application will check all these requirement of the user's browser and provide a suggestion to user to set these up.

Please let me know, if it is clear to you.

Any response would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ars

Twey
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
What happens if they're using another browser? Or another OS?

ars
08-03-2007, 12:38 PM
My Application only works on IE 6.0 or onwards with 128 bit SSL, platform independent.

If the user browser isn't IE 6.0 or onwards, then it will warn user to use IE.

like for all the properties.

but, there are not any platform constraint !!

Reagrds,
Ars

Twey
08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
but, there are not any platform constraint !!Er, well yes, there is. IE6 runs (natively) only on Windows NT and onwards. You need to rewrite your application to adhere to the standards more closely so it works with other browsers. If you want this much control over the execution environment, write a native program: that isn't what the Web is about.

CSELVA
09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Er, well yes, there is. IE6 runs (natively) only on Windows NT and onwards. You need to rewrite your application to adhere to the standards more closely so it works with other browsers. If you want this much control over the execution environment, write a native program: that isn't what the Web is about.

Am also facing the above mentioned problem.
I want to enable some & disable some options in the advanced tab of IE.
So please give me a clear picture about where can I find the configuration file ?
If possible please provide the file name. I have searched a lot in the Windows folder.

peter_budo
09-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Am also facing the above mentioned problem.
I want to enable some & disable some options in the advanced tab of IE.
So please give me a clear picture about where can I find the configuration file ?
If possible please provide the file name. I have searched a lot in the Windows folder.

If I got across such thing I will immediately leave or stop processing further as I have no guarantee that you not trying to run malicious content on my pc. Either way world is not any more about IE dominance (day to day IE user number are going down I seen it on my web site) and you have to support other technologies or your business will have no success.