PDA

View Full Version : Jim's Menu 5.7

CHunt
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
1) Script Title: Jim Menu 5.7

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/index.htm
3) Describe problem:
I have installed the vertical menu on my site and it works fine for IE6, FF2.0.0.6,and NS8. However in Opera 9.22 the sub menus appear at the top of the menu instead of beside the calling menu item. Also the words on the menu bars are hanging off the bottom and are half hidden by the selection below. Any ideas on how to fix these problems for Opera 9.22 ?

jscheuer1
08-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Well, since this menu depends upon browser sniffing and hasn't been updated since Opera 7 . . . you get the idea. Just by playing around, I found that if Opera were set to use the ie5m-build.js instead of the default op7-build.js it is steered to by browser.js that example.htm and example2.htm worked OK, but that example3.htm still had problems. To make this change, edit this line in browser.js -

else if (opera)
document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="' + buildDir + 'op7-build.js"></script>');

Change it to:

else if (opera)
document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="' + buildDir + 'ie5m-build.js"></script>');

The only other alternatives I can think of would be:

1 ) Use a different menu
2 ) Find a more current version of this one
3 ) Update the op7-build.js file somehow

CHunt
08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the suggestion and quick reply. I will try it and see if it works on my site.

CHunt
08-03-2007, 09:29 PM
John, It did work with Opera on my site. However, I made a mistake when I stated that it worked in FF 2.0.0.6. The sub menus open at the top of the page instead of connecting to the calling menu item. You can scroll the page and get them to line up but they are always at the same coordinates on the screen.

I have tried all build versions and they don't work on FF. Only the dom-build displays the menu. I have been studying the code all day and still don't understand it.

Thank you for your help. I have tried to email Jim but his mail keeps bouncing.

jscheuer1
08-04-2007, 07:39 AM
I think it is time to retire this menu. I am going to file a bug report and see what happens. Good luck finding another menu suitable for your project - at least that's what I would suggest that you do.