PDA

View Full Version : Changing browser features?

???
07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to change what the back button or other buttons do. Or changing what happens if someone clicks on a bookmark. Can it be done?

djr33
07-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Shouldn't. I'd find it very annoying, as would many others.
In only a few cases would this make sense (like an interactive program where you don't want the back button to cause problems, or want it to go back in relation to ajax, not page loads), and in most of those you will probably just have to find a workaround.
I still have no idea how google does this for gmail. That's probably where you could start looking. But, really, that just changes how the back button works in terms of going to the last opened ajax link, not changing how it works entirely.
I don't really know what you mean about bookmarks, but I don't think so. You could control what happens when someone visited a bookmark, by perhaps having a "bookmark this page of my site" and then being able to control where the returning visitors go with a redirect, but there's no reason to think everyone would only bookmark that page.

???
08-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Actually, I was thinking exactly of AJAX, it would load different pages into the current one with AJAX, and the back button would go back in the AJAX pages until there were no more, then going back to the one before the site.