PDA

View Full Version : Create thumbnails for images

Sliight
07-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm a habitual downloader of free software, assuming it gets rave user reviews.

I've noticed a fair amount of galleries that use thumbnails, in which you need the baby image, and the large image. This software looks beneficial, as it appears to size them properly, vs resizing yourself and getting different sizes.

http://www.download.com/Easy-Thumbnails/3000-2192_4-10709659.html?tag=lst-3-2

djr33
07-28-2007, 06:21 PM
er.... sure. Do you have a question?
You can also create macros of some sort in various programs. In Photoshop, they are called actions and you 'record' the steps, then 'play' them. You could do that to generate thumbnails if you wanted.

Twey
07-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Photoshop is definitely overkill here... using ImageMagick and bash, you can:
for i in mydir/images/*.png
do
convert -sample 100x100 "$i" "`basename $i .png`_thumbnail.png"
done... to take a directory full of images and convert each one to a 100×100 thumbnail of itself, with _thumbnail appended to the filename. For example, for:
mydir/images/:
img1.png
myfile.pngit would generate:
mydir/images/:
img1.png
img1_thumbnail.png
myfile.png
myfile_thumbnail.png

boxxertrumps
07-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Twey, you're forgetting that people who dont use linux have no idea what bash is...

The op should look at installing this: http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/ if he want to use a shell script to do these things automatically...

alexjewell
07-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Ha, if you don't know what bash is, you probably shouldn't do it this way until you learn a bit more on the subject.

Photoshop isn't overkill for Windows users - it gets it done and isn't too complicated.

Twey
07-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Twey, you're forgetting that people who dont use linux have no idea what bash is...They're web designers, they've almost certainly encountered it, if only on their servers. Besides:
I'm a habitual downloader of free softwareThat ups the likelihood of the OP being a Linux user, I reckon :)
Photoshop isn't overkill for Windows users - it gets it done and isn't too complicated.It's not (as far as I'm aware; if it does have this feature please do correct me) a batch processing tool and it wasn't designed to be. A directory of a hundred images could take, how long? Certainly longer than doing the same with a simple command-line tool like ImageMagick, if only by the latter's virtue of not having the big complex GUI that must be navigated.

djr33
07-30-2007, 08:49 AM
An action could speed this up a lot.

MarCn
04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Try 3D Thumbnail Generator to create impressive 3D thumbnails. [EDIT: spam removed]

have you got some other good programs that i can create impressive 3D animations? Would be very thankful. 3D thumbnail generator really is an interesting program.

MarCn
04-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Ha, if you don't know what bash is, you probably shouldn't do it this way until you learn a bit more on the subject.

Photoshop isn't overkill for Windows users - it gets it done and isn't too complicated.

yeah agree, photoshop isn't a complicated program at all, you can do all sorts of changing graphics or creating new ones. there lots of photoshop versions so i mean there are simpler versions and are newer that have more advantages. so there is to choose.