View Full Version : Images flicker or Flexi Slideshow

Lorel
07-28-2007, 01:33 PM
1) Script Title:
Flexi Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/flexislide.htm

3) Describe problem:

I have set up a slideshow for a client. it is set for the widest and tallest image in each set (plus one line of text at bottom of each image). It displays correctly on my Mac OS 10.4.9 with the latest Safari, Firefox, Opera and Netscape and also my Win XP IE-6 and Firefox (both on broadband cable) but on her computer (also a Mac but I don't know which OS or modem speed) the images flicker until she runs through them once then they display ok.

Can this be caused by a slow computer or internet speed?

I have the display set at 4 seconds on each set. Here is the relevant code:

var slidewidth='546px' //set to width of LARGEST image in your slideshow
var slideheight='560px' //set to height of LARGEST iamge in your slideshow, plus any text description
var slidebgcolor='#000000'

//configure the below variable to determine the delay between image rotations (in miliseconds)
var slidedelay=4000

jscheuer1
07-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes it can. More likely it is the internet speed, but it can be the cpu speed, or both.

Having such large images, especially if they are also large in byte size, would only make matters worse for a slow computer and/or connection. So, you can try making the images smaller by resizing them, and more importantly by optimizing them. Preloading the images may also help, but not if they aren't first reduced in byte size. Preloading on a previous page, if feasible, would be best. If the connection and/or computer are too slow though, not even these measures will fix it.

Lorel
07-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks John,

that is what I suspected.

Lorel

jscheuer1
07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
I wrote a script a few months ago that is now featured in the DD scripts library:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

It is a little bit more complex to set up than the Flexi script, but it can be made to look just like it. The advantage with it is that it does an incremental preload of each image, waiting until the next image is available before proceeding. You should still optimize your images though, if you haven't already. This is just a good general practice in web publishing, as it speeds the image's loading time under all circumstances and makes them useless for anything other than web publishing and/or viewing on a computer at their native size, should someone copy them from your site.

Lorel
07-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info on that other script. I'll keep it in mind.

The images are already reduced from 2400 pixels to 546. I use Fireworks8 which does a good job of optimizing the images. She may want to reduce them some more so they don't flicker on her computer.

Lorel