PDA

View Full Version : I am using a site builder - can I use DHTML?

mingo1
04-03-2005, 06:31 AM
I am using Trellix web builder and would like to use something from this site. I can not figure out how to add the code. There is a web gem to add HTML but it doesn't work. How can I add to the head/body/etc or do I need to use a different builder?
Thanks for your help, this has been a lot of fun to play with!!

jscheuer1
04-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Just took a quick look at Trellix. Looks like their 'Advanced Building Tools' is what you need. It will allow you to, among other things, upload files you have developed and tested on your own computer. Now, there may be a way to get 'Trellix Web Express' to add JavaScript to files but it would take an unorthodox approach as it is not meant for that. You say adding HTML does not work, do you mean for scripts or for even plain HTML, like a paragraph or table? If you can add simple HTML, you may be able to insert JavaScript in it.

mingo1
04-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I can get HTML to work - adding paypal buttons for example.

jscheuer1
04-03-2005, 04:46 PM
OK, try a simple experiment, take this code:

<p><script>document.write('- It Works! -');</script></p>and insert it as HTML somewhere in your page and see if the message - It Works! - is displayed at that spot. Don't do this if you have no way of removing it later. If it works, we can at least insert script into the body as this is what we just did. Many scripts go in the body and even many of those that go in the head can go in the body. Let us know what happens.

mingo1
04-03-2005, 05:15 PM
That worked! Now what?

jscheuer1
04-03-2005, 05:33 PM
So, experiment worked. Next, try the same thing without the <p></p> tags and put it somewhere that plain text could be inserted. If inserting without the element tag (<p></p>) does not work, we will have to use that strategy with all future attempts. If it works without the tag, the next step is up to you but, I'd suggest trying something simple. Choose a script from the archives that does not say it goes the head. Insert that where you want it and see what happens. If the tag appears to be required, we can still try a simple body script from the archives and just apply the tags to it. Later, if you want to use a script that goes in the head, you can try inserting right at the top of the content (before anything else that gets displayed on your page), that is almost as good as the head and will work for many of these type scripts (this last will probably not work if tags are required). Got all that? Let us know.

mingo1
04-03-2005, 06:25 PM
OK, yours works without the <p> things. When I try another, like flying bats, I get nothing. I changed the .gif also, and got nothing. I tried a <p> at the baginning and end (i think) and got nowhere, This is all a little over my head. What is the <p< for?

mingo1
04-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I just tried a different one and it worked - mostly. I did the Floating images. I did get an image that floated up and down, well a box, I did not insert my own HTML, but the basic thing worked. So, any idea why the flying stuff doesn't work.
What I am trying to do is get a flock of birds to randomly run across the screen. The art is easy, it's getting the silly stuff to move that is stumping me!
BTW - than you for your help!!

jscheuer1
04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
What browser do you use? Bats only work on NS4 and IE4+ (use legend bottom of each script's page, with title of script). Floating Images works on IE4+ and NS6+ (also FF). The floating images is a little complicated, were you able to upload the moveobj.js file? Did you upload and configure images for the script? Let me know.

Now a word of advice on asking about a particular script. Post the address for it in your message like:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/flyimage.htm

for 'Floating images script'. This is according to rules for this forum:
I know you are new to all this but it makes it so much easier to help if we can click right to the script. Also it would help if:
so we can see what a problem might be on the page.

mingo1
04-04-2005, 03:08 AM
Sorry, thanks for the heads up. I am not stuck on a paticular effect, I just want to make my flamingos run across the screen. I have been trying many of the moving scripts. I mean, ideally I would have a custom thing done but I am woefully underskilled and underfunded! So, I am on my own, besides, this is kind of fun!
My site is seattleflamingo.com, it's pointed to luellamae.biz and has it's won page. However, I've created a test site - luellamae.biz/flamingo - to work on. I don't want to destroy what I've already done!
I am using a Mac and IE 5.1
Again, thanks for holding my hand on this.

jscheuer1
04-04-2005, 04:52 AM
OK, I took a look at your test page. There are two copies of flying bats on there plus a number of other scripts, some you may have put there and some that must have been put there by the server. To test any new script, you must first remove all the old ones you put on the test page. Scripts can conflict with each other. The presence of server scripts is unavoidable unless you get another host but, if they are the only scripts on a page besides the one (you should only try one at a time) you put there, conflicts, if any, can usually be resolved.
I am using a Mac and IE 5.1Uhng! That is the hardest for me to test for and the least representative of what other folks will see. IE5.1 on a Mac acts sometimes like NS4 and sometimes like IE5. I don't know if your hardware and OS can support it but, if they can, I strongly recommend upgrading to NS7.2 or at least the highest Netscape browser your system can support. Before doing this be sure your system can support it. Go to:

http://netscape.com/

and check the specs required to run their 7.2 browser. If you cannot support that, check for one on:

http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive/client_archive3x.html

That you can support. Don't get rid of IE5.1 until you are sure you have a working replacement, even then you might want to keep it for certain tasks. Don't even worry about upgrading your browser until you can get your test page cleaned up as per my instructions at the top of this message, as that may be the main problem.

I love the "Flock 'em" idea. lol.

mingo1
04-04-2005, 05:52 AM
I did it, I did it!!
I used a copy of falling leaves (www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/index.html) and then changed the .gif to a flamingo. This is still not running across the screen but what a victory!!
I think for this evening I will rest on my laurels! Tomorrow I will retackle a different effect (after first clearing this one!) I will check on NS and also, would Firefox be another option - it's been recomended but I know nothing of it.
Thank you, thank you! You are a god and I am not worthy!

jscheuer1
04-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Well, I was going to recommend FireFox but, I've been seeing odd comments about its behavior on Mac, so I didn't mention it.

Congratulations! Flamingos look funny, funny hah hah! You still have a bats script on the page along with the two test scripts with - It Works -. Get rid of those, they may cause problems later.