PDA

View Full Version : Help with personalised background

thelegendray
07-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Im a newbie at javascript, and needs help in coding my new web.

What i need now is a code when loaded will look for a cookie, if there is a value in the cookie, it will load the value as the background image, if there is no value/no cookie exist, it will create 1 cookie with a default value of an image url.

And at the end of the page there is a form that allow user to input image url for the cookie to remember.

Can someone please generate the code for me, you help is most appreciated.

djr33
07-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, you could do it in PHP as well, and it would be pretty easy.

Here's the code for that:

Make sure your page ends with the .php extension and PHP is installed/enabled on your server, then place this at the very top of yourpage:

<?php
if (isset($_POST['bgimage'])) {
$bgimage = $_POST['bgimage'];
setcookie('bgimage',$bgimage,time()+60*60*24*365);
}
else if (isset($_COOKIE['bgimage'])) {
$bgimage = $_COOKIE['bgimage'];
}
else {
$bgimage = 'mydefault.jpg'; //set default here
setcookie('bgimage',$bgimage,time()+60*60*24*365);
}
?>

I set the cookie to expire in one year. Change that if you'd like...

Now, you have the value $bgimage ready for use in setting the background on the page.

Use the following line:
<?=$bgimage?>wherever you want to have the value of the background set.
For example:
<body background="<?=$bgimage?>">
Or, using CSS:
background-image: <?=$bgimage?>;
Etc.

Now, for the form, use some version of this:
<form .... action="">
<input type="text" name="bgimage" value="<?=$bgimage?>">
<input type="submit" value="Change Background">
</form>

Twey
07-21-2007, 01:28 PM
A server-side script is definitely the preferred way to do it.
Or, using CSS:
background-image: <?=$bgimage?>;
background-image: url(<?php echo $bgimage; ?>);djr33, never use shorttags when designing code to run on someone else's server. There's no guarantee they'll have them enabled.

djr33
07-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Oops, on the CSS. I was writing it quickly.

As for short tags, isn't it fairly well supported for the simple output format, when just displaying a certain value? I never use anything aside from <?php ... ?> in general, but for displaying a value, I find <?=$val?> or <?=val()?> to be a lot cleaner.

I should have noted, though, that the proper substitute if that fails is to use echo, as in your post.

Twey
07-21-2007, 02:12 PM
isn't it fairly well supported for the simple output format, when just displaying a certain value?No. Shorttags are shorttags; there's only one option to enable all of <?, <?=, &c. In my experience, about one in four servers have it disabled.
I should have noted, though, that the proper substitute if that fails is to use echo, as in your post.But that's a lot more effort than just using the full form in the first place :)

thelegendray
07-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I have managed to figure out the code somehow. thanks anyway guys.

thelegendray
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM
but the i will try the php, it might have a better result cause my code is messed up