PDA

View Full Version : E-mail Question

Sliight
07-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm using the encrypt e-mail script on my site to protect from spammers, and it works great.

I am curious to see if it is possible to populate something in the body of the e-mail when it's opened? I'd really like it if I could populate my contact phone numbers in their e-mail, just in case they were hoping for those instead of an e-mail popping up.

My contact info is quite visible on the left side of my page, but just because it's visible doesn't mean some people will see it.

Here's the link to the script I'm using from DD: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

Thank you! :)

Twey
07-18-2007, 10:53 PM
document.write('<a href="mailto:'+encryptedemail_id12+'&Body=' + encodeURIComponent("Some message body here") + '">Contact Us</a>')

Sliight
07-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Hmm... If you take the number 4,565,532 and add how many paperclips I have in my desk to it... what would that number be?

I just figured since you seem to know the answer to everything I ask, I'd check to see how far your scope of knowledge goes :)

Thanks again, as always very helpful.

The PHP tutorials I read kinda scared me off... I think I'll just have to do the manual link update to my projected 72 pages of my website :) Would be nice to be able to adjust the appearance of the links, as well as the targets inside the three menu bars... but I'm sure I'll become proficient at copy/paste soon enough :)

Thanks!

Twey
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
PHP's not that scary. Ugly, yes; scary, no. :p

Seriously, its feature set (as a language, of course there are plenty of functions and add-ons and the like) is so limited that there's not much to learn. If you can handle Javascript it should be no problem.
Hmm... If you take the number 4,565,532 and add how many paperclips I have in my desk to it... what would that number be?Mmm... 4,565,535? :)

Sliight
07-19-2007, 12:23 AM
I can paste javascript into my page :) I have a general idea about it, and can typically figure out what is messing things up... but...

How much work would I need to do to create one main PHP file that controls the three menus on my page? Can I put the PHP name inside the DIV's that already set the position and appearance on the page? What would a typical web designer charge to create this?

I did just find out since I chose windows hosting instead of linux with my domain host I'd need to flip to linux in order to make it work.

Thank you!

Twey
07-19-2007, 07:18 AM
How much work would I need to do to create one main PHP file that controls the three menus on my page? Can I put the PHP name inside the DIV's that already set the position and appearance on the page? What would a typical web designer charge to create this?
<?php include 'menu.inc.php'; ?>That's it :)
I did just find out since I chose windows hosting instead of linux with my domain host I'd need to flip to linux in order to make it work.Really? PHP is provided on most Windows hosts as well. Probably worth moving to Linux anyway, though.

Sliight
07-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Ok... have a few questions.

1. In the menu.inc file (I assume it's just text), can I cut and paste the entire menu code in it, and then replace the cut information with the <?php include 'menu.inc.php'; ?> ?

2. If I can do question one, essentially I could update all of my links names and targets in this one text file, and it would update the entire site accordingly?

3. Assuming this works, do all of my pages have to be named page_name.php? or can they still be .html pages?

Thank you! :)

Twey
07-19-2007, 05:51 PM
1. In the menu.inc file (I assume it's just text), can I cut and paste the entire menu code in it, and then replace the cut information with the <?php include 'menu.inc.php'; ?> ?Yes. It's not just text, though: PHP code will be interpreted.
2. If I can do question one, essentially I could update all of my links names and targets in this one text file, and it would update the entire site accordingly?Yes.
3. Assuming this works, do all of my pages have to be named page_name.php? or can they still be .html pages?All pages that use the <?php include ... ?> directive must be parsed as PHP, which probably means that they'll have to have a .php extension, yes.

Sliight
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I think this is going to be something I'll want to learn then. I have about 76 pages so far as site template, and I had to estimate.

It will benefit me in a few ways I think. The first is that I don't have to have blank links sitting there waiting to be filled out, and of course the huge benefit of being able to change the links on the fly as each new business partner, or testimonial is added.

I'll do some more research on PHP and at least get a sense of how I can accomplish what I want to do. I'll just clone my home page, and a seperate page to test on.

Thanks a ton for the help!