PDA

View Full Version : IE but not Firefox!

Chuck
04-02-2005, 10:14 AM
I run across to many scripts that only work in IE. How do I get around that limit. I end up not being able to use scripts unless they will work in at least IE AND Firefox.
Obviously not all scripts work in all browsers or maybe I should say the results can vary from script to script. Some won't work at all, some just work differently.

I am one of those people that really gets into this, takes care of a few projects and then doesn't come near it again long enough that it takes a while to catch up. It's a lot like riding a bicycle but suddenly one of the tires is flat and the gear shifter is stuck in the wrong gear. I can ride the bike but it sure isn't like it used to be! :D I am getting more and more into it on a regular basis now though. To many people are asking me for help. Maybe I should start charging for it!

What I was wondering was if anyone could point me to somewhere that can help me to get a few scripts that work using IE but not Firefox. Is there a trick to this I missed? Or is there some obvious difference between the browsers that needs to be addressed in some scripts? (Like removing frame borders in Netscape or IE took either border=No or border=0 kind of difference)?

Thank you for your time,

Chuck :)

mwinter
04-02-2005, 05:24 PM
What I was wondering was if anyone could point me to somewhere that can help me to get a few scripts that work using IE but not Firefox.It depends on what the scripts are attempting to do.

[Rant time]
At the moment[1], Microsoft is clearly to blame for much of any Web developers woes. It's blatent disregard for standards support is holding back advances in Web development; Microsoft only concentrates on their own proprietary features, and any support for related standardised technologies is an afterthought.
[/Rant time]

If a script happens to rely on one of these proprietary features, it will be unlikely that the script can work on other user agents. At best, all you can do is check - through feature (not browser) detection - that something is supported and allow for graceful degradation if it isn't.

Mike

[1] In all fairness to Microsoft, both they and Netscape were equally to blame for the problems caused during the browser wars. It's probably due to this debacle (along with the number of badly written Web documents) that we are left with not a single major user agent that has full support for even HTML, let alone the myriad other technologies that should be available to authors.