PDA

View Full Version : Universal countdown being "erratic"

beades
07-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Universal Countdown Clock

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex6/universalcountdown.htm

I've been testing the UCC as part of a web app I'm building for several weeks now. I've checked it on numerous browsers and OSs, and it has always worked perfectly.

We finally put the app out to some of our inside users for testing. One reported that the clock "jumped around" -- that it got to 2:00 minutes then jumped up to 4:00, down to 3:00, and so on.

I've sure seen nothing like this. Has anyone else? I'm using server-php mode to fetch the time, e.g.:

var launchdate=new cdLocalTime("cdcontainer", "server-php", 0, "July 10, 2007 09:00:00")

The woman who reported the weird results was using IE 6 from within our (very flaky) Citrix Metaframe envionment.

Thoughts?

ddadmin
07-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Hmmm can you be more specific? Do you mean it goes from 4 minutes left the one second, to 2 minutes left the next? In other words, how is it jumpting based on what time interval?

Regardless though, even if the script were to act up, it seems highly unlikely it would so in such a manner. The server's time is only retrieved once, when the page first loads (ruling out the server time being incorrect as the cause). The only reason I can think of is if the user's computer time is jumping around erradically, as the script accesses the user's time each second.

beades
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
My implementation is displaying only hours and minutes. So this user would see "there are 0 hours 2 minutes remaining" then a minute later "there are 0 hours 4 minutes remaining", etc.

Frankly, like you, I just didn't see how this could be possible, expect perhaps as some sort of weird caching artifact produced by our particular LAN/proxy server environment at the office.

The fact that you've never heard of this before sets my mind considerably at ease :)