PDA

View Full Version : Firefox will be the death of me!

astralrose
03-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me with a piece code.

This code works fine in IE but in firefox the borders of the frames seem to be lying under the background

This is the frameset I am using

<frameset rows=90,*,35 border=0>
<frame src="stw10bannerpage.htm" name="top" scrolling="no" marginwidth="2" marginheight="2" yes style="border: double #6BF78C">
<frameset cols=150,*,150 border=0>
<frame src="menu.htm" name="left" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="2" marginheight="2" yes style="border: double #FF6633">
<frame src="indexxx.htm" name="lovett" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="2" marginheight="2" yes style="border: double #6BF78C">
<frame src="ESprettyuglybefore.htm" name="right" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="2" marginheight="2" yes style="border: double #FF6633">
</frameset>
<frame src="copyrightstw10page.htm" name="bottom" scrolling="no" marginwidth="2" marginheight="2" yes style="border: double #6BF78C">
</frameset>

this is the page up and running (http://www.savingthewoman.com/frames.htm)

is this just a pure style issue with firefox and unavoidable?

Thanks

Regards

Donna

jscheuer1
03-27-2005, 05:21 AM
I see what you mean but, it looks OK in either browser, something to consider before knocking one's self out trying to get them to look identical in both browsers. I had some ideas but they all flew out the window when I downloaded your frameset page and displayed it in FF without any content pages, the borders were there! I tried a bunch of other things:

- remove !doctype
- remove margins
- put style on content pages

The last showed some promise but essentially only changed the problem. The rest did nothing useful.

Added Later:
I've got it. You need this on the style for the content page's body (left frame) in place of the background or background-color statement (whichever you used):
margin: 10px!important; margin: 5px; background:none!important; background: #e0ffe7;and add the 'background: #e0ffe7;' to the frame tag's style as well, while losing the margin attributes there. Do this across all the pages and frame tags using the appropriate colors and you will have it.

jscheuer1
03-27-2005, 10:30 AM
I got a little carried away with this one. I redid alot of it, 2 graphics and many style changes, more than in my post. Easiest way would be to attach a .zip file, if that is OK with you. It is just the frameset and the initial files displayed in it along with their style sheets. I didn't include the logo because I didn't change that, banner and copywrite graphics changed to fit those pesky borders in FF. This is not a drop-in upgrade as my filenames are different than yours as are paths. It is a recursed .zip file you can open up and see how it looks. Might play differently on your monitor. At least give you a general idea. Don't want to attach it without your permission.

astralrose
04-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi,

sorry for the delayed reply. Yup .zip ahead I am grateful for your help thanks ;p
F.Y.I. ALL my style is on an external .css , the only style dictated within a page is on the frames page for the borders.

Cheers

Donna

jscheuer1
04-03-2005, 04:18 PM
F.Y.I. ALL my style is on an external .cssI got that, that is why I made a .zip - the updated css is included. As I said before, this is not a dropin replacement, it is a zip file with recursed directories,using the directory tree generated when I saved your page to work on it. So extract the files using paths and just to be on the safe side, do it to an empty directory.

astralrose
04-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Sorry for the delay again, I am having serious pc wobbles!!!

Thankyou sooo much :-), can I ask the reason why you would do separate .css files for each page....just curious really.

I really appreciate the time you spent

regards
Donna

jscheuer1
04-12-2005, 05:51 PM
The separate css files were primarily caused by the way IE6 saved your pages for me to work on them locally. However, after altering each css file to my satisfaction, they actually ended up being slightly different from one another. If you can recombine them without losing any look and feel that you like on the content pages, feel free. It shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise, buy me a ticket and I'll be right over. ;)