PDA

View Full Version : Jim's DHTML Menu v5.7 help

mrmill
03-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Is there any way to add tool tips to this menu?

jscheuer1
03-25-2005, 05:05 AM
What exactly do you mean by tool tips? There are several kinds. Have you made any attempts?
lksdpc
lksdpc

mrmill
03-25-2005, 02:42 PM
The menu I wish to add "tooltips" to is: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/index.htm I would like to "hover" on a link and have a text box appear with additional information about that link. The problem URL is: http://www.hawkfamilyhomepage.org/
Thank you!

jscheuer1
03-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Just so you know I haven't forgotten about you, I'm looking at the code now. This is a very involved set of scripts. In addition to that, the links are activated via either the:

window.open()

or the:

location.href=

techniques depending upon if the target value of a link is set or not. These techniques do not lend themselves easily to adding tooltips. Had the technique been <a href="link">, adding the sort of tooltips you are asking for would be easier, just a matter of incorporating a title attribute. I will keep this idea on my back burner but, having done several thorough searches on the matter and having come up empty, I wouldn't hold my breath.

As you may or may not know, often requests for help with this menu are referred to Jim, as it is his menu, have you tried contacting him?

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point. If you find a solution PLEASE post back and let us know. If not, check back from time to time to see if we come up with anything here.

Now, this to others in this forum - anyone else want to tackle this?

jscheuer1
03-25-2005, 08:23 PM
OK, I've found one rather kludgy way to add tooltips to this menu. I have two assumptions to put forward:

1) You do not want/need a tooltip for a menu item that opens a submenu.
2) You are opening submenus onmouseover.

Since I already see that #2 above is true on your site, we are part the way home. The answer (given a look at the documentation) is rather simple. For items not opening a submenu, their last parameter is 0. Simply set this parameter to the next unused number, let's say it is 8 and setup a:

menu[8] = new menu(etc.. etc...)
menu[8].addItem("#", "", 22, "left", "Tool Tip Goes Here", 0);you will have to configure this menu 8 to have the look and position you want for the tooltip. You can make as many new menus like this as you need, one for each tip.

One last step. If other items on the menu that includes the item you are making a tooltip for open submenus, you need to set param 18 (character at extreme right) to "" (blank) and manually insert the character you want used for this in each item's description (only for those opening a submenu).

Remember the example.htm that came with the install. Well it used a custom.js file, for an example of what I mean, change Dynamic Drive's last parameter to 5 and add this at the end of the custom.js for that example:

menus[5] = new menu(199, "vertical", 0, 0, 0, 0, "#ffffFF", "#ffffff", "Verdana,Helvetica", 8, "", "", "black", "black", 1, "gray", 2, ">>", false, true, false, false, 0, true, 4, 4, "black");
menus[5].addItem("#", "", 42, "left", "Dynamic Drive\'s Website\nScripts Galore", 0);Not the best job, but hey, the precise configuration is up to you, might want to lose the shadow and change the position, etc., etc.

mrmill
03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Thank You! I'll give it a try & let you know how it works.

mrmill
03-26-2005, 02:54 PM
It works!! Thanks for the quick reply. See the result(s) at: http://www.hawkfamilyhomepage.org/

jscheuer1
03-26-2005, 05:08 PM
That's great! And I see you even got it looking good in Mozilla as well as IE, something I neglected to warn you about or to mention the work around for. I'd still lose the shadow on the tips and use a non bold font but, it's your site. Interestingly, I had emailed Jim, the menu's author to ask him first before working things out. He said there was nothing at this time for tooltips. I sent him back telling him about our discovery. Thanks for letting us all know about your success.