PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility wrt Top Menu Bar II

Geoff_C
09-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi Folks,

Top Menu Bar II appears not to work in anything except IE? It is rated All, and I had a report from a friend that my site won't work in Netscape, Mozilla or FireFox. Shows up in IE and Opera.

This is what you say:
You've searched high and low for a navigational script as seen on the top pages of Microsoft.com. Where else did you expect to find it but on Dynamic Drive? Thanks to Mike Hall for his wonderful, cross browser creation!

Is this possible? Is All not All? I am a previous user of scripts here, and was very happy until Service Pack II rendered my menu useless by virtue of classifying it as a pop-up. I did not bother to test this compatibility on this Top Menu Bar II because I was such a satisfied past customer.

But I just downloaded Firefox myself, and for sure it does not work. Please tell me I am wrong. That I left something out. Otherwise whole days work is wasted. I even surfed your page http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/topnavbar.htm with Firefox, and NOTHING shows up. Please tell me I am stupid, it really works!!!

Geoff

cr3ative
09-26-2004, 05:45 AM
It says All, but unfortunately it doesn't have an "NS6!" logo next to it. :o
TNB3 is compatible with everything and you might be able to customize that menu with fewer changes than a completely new system.

cr3ative

Geoff_C
09-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Thank you for your answer. I asked my son, as he is the web guru, and he tells me Firefox is not Netscape 6. He says you would have to be an idiot to use Netscape 6, it was so buggy, but Firefox is a dream. Strangely, and confusingly, you never use the name Firefox, although that seems to be the name most folks use?

But thanks for the answer.

cr3ative
09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Your son is a wise man- Firefox is amazing :D

A bit of history (I think, I may be wrong.)
Most of today's major browsers trace their ancestry back to the ancient “Mosaic” browser project from the early 1990's. When Mosaic first started to become a commercial product, it was beefed up and made into a supposedly better browser that the developers hoped would slay the competition. To embody their hopes, they named the new browser “Mozilla” after (believe it or not) Mosaic + Godzilla.

"Mozilla" eventually became Netscape, which later got eaten by the internet giants AOL, which then released the Netscape browser source code to the Open Source community, which used it to produce a new, reborn Mozilla browser. AOL/Netscape then used that reborn Mozilla code as the core of a new generation of "Netscape" branded browsers: In other words, Netscape browsers are today really just AOL-modified cousins of the Open Source Mozilla browser. (Phew)

Internet Explorer also is a descendant of Mosaic/Mozilla: A separate company arising from Mosaic/Mozilla was called "Spyglass," and that source code was licensed by Microsoft and used as the basis for the first versions of IE.

Today's Mozilla browser ( http://www.mozilla.org/ ) is quite good. It has all the essential stuff that the "Netscape" version has, without the extra, um, baggage layered in by AOL. Firefox's full name is Mozilla Firefox, so it could be said to be loosly based on Netscape.

Interesting :)

cr3ative