PDA

View Full Version : Image Tooltip script suggestion

courtney
06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Hello all. I just started using the image tooltip script (which is great!), and I have a suggestion that might save some people the hassle i just went through for a couple hours.

In the directions, it says to insert the script into the <head> section of the page. But, apparently, if you use css and have divs and stuff, it doesn't work that way and you have to create a tooltip div and put the script and links in the div. This isn't explained anywhere in the directions. if you read the actual script, it says "/* IMPORTANT: Put script after tooltip div or put tooltip div just before </BODY>. */". Which is pretty confusing when it works right without doing that as long as there's nothing else on the page (the script worked perfectly when i put it on a blank page, following the instructions provided), not to mention contradictory to the directions which say to put the script in the head tag.

My suggestion is that you explain to your users that sometimes it goes in the head tag, and sometimes you have to put it in a div tag, and why.

You confuse people (or at least me and my coworker!) by instructing them to put the script in the head tag, when that's not always correct.

other than that, i love it and thank you for all the great scripts!

mburt
06-01-2007, 10:05 PM
The "important" kind of clears up that issue; if the user actually intends to use it properly and knows anything about HTML markup whatsoever, they should know what is meant by:

Put script after tooltip div or put tooltip div just before </BODY>

courtney
06-01-2007, 10:17 PM
You're right about that. But I think it's important for people like you to understand that there are people out there who are new to web development, and don't know as much as you do.

It only took me a few minutes to see that part of the script and figure out what I had to do. But my coworker, who has much less experience than I do (especially when it comes to coding), spent at least an hour trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the directions posted along with the scripts are probably meant for people who aren't expert coders who can look at the code and see exactly what they're supposed to do without any instruction needed.

I'm not trying to be *****y or anything, but I don't think I'm in the wrong to suggest that misleading people by telling them to put the script in one place when it actually needs to go somewhere else isn't a good practice.

It's just a suggestion, dude. No need to get all rude and pissy with me.

mburt
06-02-2007, 03:26 PM
I'll agree, but only ddadmin is in power to do so. Anything outside the forum is completely up to him.

courtney
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, thanks for agreeing with me!

It's obviously not a huge deal, because I was the first person to bring it up (though other people have probably had the same issue and just didn't feel the need to complain like I did!), and people who get stuck will eventually figure it out. I just figure that if you can save someone a little time and hassle, why not?