PDA

View Full Version : Need help in conveyor belt script

abhi-manyu
06-01-2007, 08:10 AM
1) Script Title: Conveyor Belt Script

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/leftrightslide.htm

3) Describe problem:

Can any body tell me how i can chage the images that appear in the belt dynamically. I mean if there is some buttons down at the scrolling images and if i click on some button then the images that are appearing in the scroll bar should change accordingly.
I hope some one will help me.

You can see what i am trying to do at : http://www.localhomesabroad.co.uk/homes/test2.asp

Thanks,
Abhimanyu

jscheuer1
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
It's not quite so simple. The script initializes key dimensions from the images. It sets up an image train of two identical lines of the images as well. If you were to change the images, they would most likely need to be preloaded ahead of time and add up to the same total length and height as the original train, and be replace both in the original and duplicate line of images.

Another approach would be to set up several of these conveyor belts on one page using the OO version of this script that is available in the submit section of this forum. You could hide and reveal whatever particular one you wanted by manipulating their display properties.

Either way, the more images involved, the greater the total byte load of the page would become. This could become a problem even with a high speed connection (let alone on dial-up) if the bandwidth were low or if there were many large images.

This could also be done by loading separate pages, each holding one conveyor, in an iframe on your page. This might actually be best from a byte load point of view, but would exhibit a lag between shows until all of the images were cached.

Anti_dentite
06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I just want to bump this thread up as I have the same question.

I realize that preloading all the images would be slow, but maybe it's possible to only load the images as they are needed?

jscheuer1
06-01-2007, 05:02 PM
That's what the iframe approach would do. With many images and/or even a few large images, there would still be some lag when switching the conveyor pages in the iframe though. But, this could be reduced by attempting to preload those images while the user is viewing the first conveyor. I say attempting because, if the user doesn't spend enough time with the first conveyor, there will not be enough time to preload all the other images required. Still, it is about the best that one could hope for, I think.

This same type of strategy could probably be worked out for the OO version of this script.

The bottom line is:

If your page (iframe content included, if used) utilizes many images with a high byte load, expect delays while loading these images. This is true even of an ordinary page with no scripts on it. Preloading can only help if there is enough time to do it while the user is busy with something else. The actual transfer time of an image is the same, regardless of how it is loaded.

abhi-manyu
06-02-2007, 04:57 AM
Thanx for the reply and thanx for these idea....

but.....

For the iframe approach, how can i generate the seperate pages dynamically?

just see the link : http://www.localhomesabroad.co.uk/homes/test2.asp

Here the big image represents the first property image and the scrolling images should represent the other 9 images of the same property... Now the big image should change automatically after every minute and hence so the scrolling images should also change.. and these details are coming from the database...

One more thing to do .... There are number below the scrolling images (1,2) which represents the number of properties, as the properties in the database changes (i mean when new property is added or deleted) these number will also change... Now if user clicks on particular number the big image should change and hence so the scrolling images should also change...

Everything is coming from the databse.....

Please help to solve this problem as it need to be solved very urgently...
If u know some other technique and code for this plz contact me at abhimanyu_mogal@rediffmail.com

Thanks,
Abhimanyu

abhi-manyu
06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey no one is able to help me.....

Kindly try to find out the solution.....