PDA

View Full Version : no image right click

bluewalrus
05-30-2007, 05:28 PM
1) Script Title: Disable right mouse click script II (on images)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htm

3) Describe problem: I want to use this script or a script like it but I can save the image and view the actual page its on, on this site. I'm using a mac with firefox and safari and both let me save it and view its actual page.

jscheuer1
05-30-2007, 05:36 PM
You might think this a disrespectful answer:

Bwah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

But, if you had researched your question on these forums thoroughly, you would never have asked it. And, I meant no disrespect. It's just that basically, you are asking the wrong question. You cannot 'protect' any content on the open web. If it is worth anything, it is protected by copyright.

djr33
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
If you want proof, then find an example of an image that cannot be saved, anywhere on the web. Within 10 seconds, many users here could save it. Such code doesn't exist, and for good reason.
Anything you send the user is then on their computer, and they can, if desired, keep it. That's just how this works.

bluewalrus
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
welll i meant a simple way because this site is mostly for skateboarders that do not know most script but know how to right click and hit save as and this script does not do anything i can right click with no changes from page without this script

djr33
05-30-2007, 09:31 PM
If they use a mac, they can drag it off the screen to the desktop.
If they know at all how to use photoshop, etc., they can just hit prnt scrn (or cmd+shift+3 on a mac), then paste and save.

There are ways to make right click disabled if you really need it, but it won't protect anything. And so what if a skateboarder copies your pictures? What's the worst that they will do? Look at them? Anyone who actually could gain from stealing them would know or could figure out how to steal them, no matter what you do.

codeexploiter
05-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Tons of screenshot takers are available freely :D

bluewalrus
06-01-2007, 03:18 AM
the point of the original post was that this site said there was a script that specifcally targeted img tags on right click not how people can copy the images click the link assoiated with the orignial articale and reply back on that

jscheuer1
06-01-2007, 05:04 AM
the point of the original post was that this site said there was a script that specifcally targeted img tags on right click not how people can copy the images click the link assoiated with the orignial articale and reply back on that

We here in the forums are not, with the exception of ddadmin, responsible for any of the scripts in the Dynamic Drive Library unless they bear our names as authors. As a result, there may be, and in fact are, many scripts available on the site that we here in the forums wouldn't even begin to try and vouch for.

It is my (and I believe other's) opinion that no right click scripts are just a way of attracting inexperienced users. They are inherently unreliable, as browser manufacturers continually upgrade their products so that the user isn't denied basic browser services by silly scripts like these. That, and the fact that, even with an older browser, javascript may be disabled along with there being many other workarounds to avoid being limited by a no right click script. Also, as noted earlier, anything really worth protecting, already is - by copyright law.

There are some common sense things you can do too. With images, if they are for sale, use only lower resolution versions. These look great on the web, but aren't suitable for framing. With text, if it is for sale, only publish excerpts. Those are my favorites, there are others, and everything depends upon the precise situation.