PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (like to change descriptions)

hanji
05-25-2007, 10:17 PM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:
It's not a problem, since I'm trying to modify it a bit.. and was hoping for some assistance. I'm trying add 'descriptions' of the images and display text on a div on another area of the HTML page.

For whatever reason, I'm unable to access the document.all.[ID].innerHTML when the fadshow object is created. I'm also wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree as well by going this route. Would anyone have any suggestions of changing the descriptions while the images rotate? Again, the description is not within the main innerHTML of the slideshow, but another div element on the page.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

hanji

jscheuer1
05-26-2007, 04:40 AM
document.all[id].object_or_method

has pretty much been replaced by (in modern browsers) with:

document.getElementById(id).object_or_method

In fact, document all was a non-standard (if quite effective) method promulgated by the Microsoft corp in its IE browsers 4 and up, still supported in v 7 and picked up by a number of other browsers. But, document.getElementById performs a similar (not identical in all cases) utility and is supported by all modern browsers, IE and others.

This may or may not give you what you need to achieve what you are trying to do. I would, in any case, direct your attention to:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

Which is very similar to Ultimate Fade, but has options (configurable properties, actually) for descriptions, controls and many other customizations.

hanji
05-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Hello

I tried getElementById() and was still experiencing the same behaviour. I worked around the problem by adding descriptive text to the image array, and manipulating the div in the innerHTML call.

Now.. I have a second problem. I need to add an additional slideshow with slightly different functionality down the page a bit. I checked out the swissarmy and gallery #2 is the ticket I need for it (buttons to page through the gallery).

Now, when I add that block of code, my rotater on the top (ultimate script) breaks with the following (during the fade)

Error: 'style.MozOpacity' is null or not an object

Is there a 'clean' way I can have both scripts loaded? Or is there nice simple 'pager' script I could use, so I don't have to disect the swissarmy.js??

Thanks much for the help!!!
hanji

jscheuer1
05-26-2007, 06:28 AM
You really shouldn't need the two scripts. Swiss Army can look and act just like Ultimate fade if all the buttons, descriptions, added line breaks, and the counter are disabled. Basically, it can look pretty much however you like, and it can look two or more completely different ways on the same page.

Resolving the conflict(s) between the scripts is possible but, it would be easier if I had a link to your problem page. It may still be very complicated though. And, even when resolved, you would still be running two fairly complex scripts on one page. You would be better off with just one - in this case, most likely the more flexible one - Swiss Army.

hanji
05-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. I ended up leaving the 'ultimate' script (since it's working like a champ), and wrote a simple 'pager' with onClick events and passing the index. I think I have it all working now. I mentioned in another thread that Safari is sorta broke now with the Ultimate script (no fade).. not sure what's up with that, since it was working great this afternoon.

Thanks again for the help.
hanji