PDA

View Full Version : General help with the samples posted here

Subhash
05-15-2007, 03:00 PM
1) Script Title: Glosssy Vertical Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/glossy-vertical-menu/

3) Describe problem: Please forgive me if I look stupid because I am novice to Web Site Building although I am an IT consultant for the last 20 years.

My first questions is if there is a general procedure outlines somewhere on this site as to how to use the various samples posted on this site. I have just started building a site with Dreamweaver 8 and since there are no prepackaged templates, menus etc. with Dreamweaver, I am looking to use the codes and samples posted here.

Can someone please help me here. I have downloaed the the CSS code and saved into a file called Glossy Menu.css. I also downloaded the two images that were used in this menu and placed in the same folder. Then I copied and pasted the html code into my web page. When I first paste the code, the menu appears fine. However, when I attach the Style sheet to the menu, all I get is the rectangular boxes in stead of menu items and all the text disappears.

Someone please help.

Thanks.....

Subhash.

P.S. Must say it is a great site and will be very very useful for someone like me to learn and improve my skills in website building.

mburt
05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
You probably aren't linking your style sheets properly. For example, if your style sheet is in myFolder/style.css, you have to use the full relative path.
Also we'll need a link to the page in question to help you out any further.

Veronica
05-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Rename the folder with the css cose to GlossyMenu.css (no spaces) and make sure that when you write the link to it, that you use the same spelling. Servers that are case-sensitive won't recognize a name if the capitalization is different.

Subhash
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Thank you for your help.

I found the solution by reading the comments posted on this menu. All what I had to do was to place the two .gif images in a folder named "media" created under the main folder.

Everything looks good now except now I am trying to figure out why in Firefox 2.0 the menu extends to the entire width of the the left frame where I inserted this menu. In IE 6.0, it seems to be ok.

Still trying to figure out but will be appreciated if anyone else has the answer.

Thanks.

Subhash.