PDA

View Full Version : animated pics

Johnnymushio
05-14-2007, 04:05 AM
on some forums i see animated pics for their avatar. i want to make one, how?

jscheuer1
05-14-2007, 04:21 AM
I'm not sure that you qualify for an avatar on this forum. Anyways, those are animated .gif images. As long as you stick to the byte and dimension requirements for a given forum and they allow .gif images for avatars, you are in business! That's assuming you know how to make an animated .gif image. I use animation shop. There are many other programs available for this though.

killerchutney
05-14-2007, 05:00 PM
I usually use Flash to make animated GIFs. Flash 8 is not that great at exporting to GIF, only 1 layer is allowed :(

I haven't seen how good Flash CS3 is at making them though.

Johnnymushio
05-14-2007, 11:30 PM
ok i have 54 images totaling 11 megs.

this size is 320 x 240

its bmp, so when converted to gif it should reduce in size

and also i want to lower the dimensions to 220 x 140 or 120 x 40

and when the 54 images are cycled through, i want them to play in reverse, then forward, then reverse, etc for ever.

is there an easy program that can do this?

im using this one that html goodies recomended, but its difficult to use. and it seems to play a little slow, and i cant get it to reverse/forward/reverse/forward, and it doesnt let me change the size...

jscheuer1
05-15-2007, 04:06 AM
Sounds a bit ambitious for an avatar. The dimensions could work, especially the 120 x 40. But, 54 frames cycling forward and backward would require 107 total frames. Animation Shop can compress by reusing those portions of the images that remain the same between frames and .gif compression is fairly good as well. However, your final image would probably be a bit byte heavy nonetheless.

Still, you wouldn't really know until you tried. Someone very experienced with making gif animations would probably be able to tell in advance the likely byte outcome, but since I am only an occasional gif animator, that would be beyond me. Even an expert would need to see the raw frames, as the complexity of each would dictate the possible outcomes.

There are probably free online animated gif makers that you could find using Google, but for optimal compression/resolution, you would want a program of your own. I hear that The Gimp (free) can do this sort of thing, but with a free or commercial program of any real power, you would either need someone well versed in its intricacies or be willing to learn it yourself.

killerchutney
05-15-2007, 05:52 PM
However, your final image would probably be a bit byte heavy nonetheless.

not mentioning what 256 colours do to animations :)

boxxertrumps
05-18-2007, 09:06 PM
the gimp has a function that turns each layer into a frame for an animation.
heres a grayscale anim, 40 frames, 50x50px, less than 10kb.

jscheuer1
05-19-2007, 04:43 AM
the gimp has a function that turns each layer into a frame for an animation.
heres a grayscale anim, 40 frames, 50x50px, less than 10kb.

That's a good example of what I am talking about in a way. It is small, low res and relatively uncomplicated. 10kb is pushing it for an avatar. If you want 256 colors, high res, more detail, more than double the number of frames, and a larger size, the numbers start to climb quickly.

Sliight
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Poke! http://www.usejeff.com/202406_avatar.gif

Demonicman
07-20-2007, 01:37 PM
the first two i made are attached

the other one is here http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/dannyb1022/w00t.gif

Demonicman
07-20-2007, 01:47 PM
the one on the right is my very first and it sucks :( but i like the others minus the little bar at the top

darco9x2
07-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Do you have to use all 54 frames? Even skipping every other frame and playing it backwards would be kinda long. Also, Adobe Image Ready is a good way to creat animated .gifs if you have it. Otherwise, as stated GIMP can do it, and gimp is free.

lainlives
07-24-2007, 07:12 PM
eie (evans image editor) with the plugin that you can get off teh same site does it nicely but i have no idea where i got it