PDA

View Full Version : Java Script problem with a menu from Dynamic Drive

thelittlemermaid
05-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello,
This will be my first post with you and I am confused as to where to post my problem.
I don't want to post it in the wrong place so if someone could please advise me, I would very much apprieciate it.
I will briefly explain, I have downloaded a Menu from Dynamic Drive which is Java Script. It all works just fine on my computer but does not show on my Web pages. I wont go into it any further just yet as I am not sure if I should post this question here.
If someone could let me know what to do as soon as possible I would be most grateful. You see, I have spent a great many hours on it customising it to compliment my Web page and it is for a final exam due mid this week.
I would like to thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Cheers Dawn

jscheuer1
05-13-2007, 10:35 AM
If your host is a free host, the may be adding scripts to your page automatically that conflict with the menu or that disallow all scripts. This is especially common with Geocities, but many other free and even some paid hosts do it. There could be other problems.

Please Provide:

a link to the demo page of this script in the Dynamic Drive script library
a link to your problem page

thelittlemermaid
05-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Hello John,
Thank you so much for helping me with this one. This is my first Java Script experience so I am quite lost when it comes to fixing anything that goes too wrong.
Small things I do try to work out for myself. I do think it is good to use your brain first before asking for help. So yep, my brain is exhausted and any help I can get would be most appreciated.
Yes, my host is free. It is ‘Freewebs’
Here is the information I think you need, if you require anything further please let me know.
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/

The menu is supposed to be on only these three pages.
http://www.freewebs.com/buddingguru-thelittlemermaid/introduction.html
http://www.freewebs.com/buddingguru-thelittlemermaid/calendarimages.html
http://www.freewebs.com/buddingguru-thelittlemermaid/links.html

If it helps, I can list a .jpg image of how the menu looks on my computer.
Thanks once again,
Cheers Dawn

thelittlemermaid
05-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I thought I would mention; all of the files that are in the 'includes' folder have been uploaded and are still in their own folder named includes.
They all have their file sizes listed but when I try to open them to see what is there they are blank.
I don't know if this is what is supposed to happen.
Cheers Dawn

jscheuer1
05-13-2007, 03:04 PM
The file:

includes/browser.js

appears to be corrupted. Try uploading a fresh copy from the distribution archive. If this doesn't fix it let me know. It may be that the host is intentionally or unintentionally corrupting it, or there may be other problems once this is fixed.

Added Later:

It appears that the file:

includes/ie4-build.js

Is also corrupt. It would be best to upload fresh copies of all of the support files for this script from the distribution archive.

thelittlemermaid
05-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Hello John,
Thank you once again for your help in this.
I will download a fresh copy of the script and then upload the complete folder 'includes' and see if that works.
I was just wondering though, if it all works fine on my computer could the files be corrupt?
I also noted in the 'reminder' file that it said to make sure the correct path is mapped, I have not changed anything in the 'includes' file. Should I?
Just one more thing, I noticed that on the very bottom of the three pages I have inserted the menu in, there is a code relating to 'script' that I did not put there.
It is not on the other pages that do not contain the menu. Could this be the problem, if so can I remove it if it was put there by the host?
Oh John, I do hope I can fix this as I would really love to keep the menu in.
You have my utmost gratitude for you help.
Thanks again and
Cheers from Australia.
Dawn

thelittlemermaid
05-13-2007, 09:25 PM
The script I referred to in my last message, I just rechecked and it is on all of the pages.

thelittlemermaid
05-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Hello again,
I have just finished uplaoding the fresh files in the 'includes' folder and unfortunately it has not brought hte menu up.
I am still wondering if I need to changes anything in the 'browser.js' file.

This is in the 'browser.js' file.
//---- Set this variable only! ----
var buildDir = "includes/";
//---------------------------------
I have not changed this since uploading these files.

In my file manager all of my files (Web pages, images, music files config.js etc) are listed under 'buddingguru-thelittlemermaid'. In this I have the folder 'includes' which has the files for it in there. So as I have not changed the 'browser.js' to reflect this, could this be the problem? If so, could you please tell me where exactly to put the path in this.

This is in the 'reminder' file -
REMEMBER TO UPDATE THE buildDir VARIABLE IN BROWSER.JS! IT MUST BE MAPPED TO THE PATH WHERE ALL THE JAVASCRIPT BUILD FILES ARE!

Once again many thanks
Cheers Dawn

jscheuer1
05-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Well, since you have the include files in the includes directory, that part is fine. I just rechecked the files that you say you uploaded again and they are still corrupt. This leads me to believe that this has something to do with limitations on file size or some such thing with your freewebs account. Unless you can contact them and find out what the problem there is and have it corrected, you would need to host the script files or the entire site elsewhere.

It may be that your method of uploading is corrupting these files. How are you uploading, via the freewebs upload form? That should work, but FTP, if available, would probably be better.

I have had some experience with freewebs and they are not the best host for many things. This is due to the fact that they place many restrictions upon their free accounts and enforce them. This often frustrates the user's ability to do a lot of things.

thelittlemermaid
05-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Hello John,
You are an outstanding, brilliant ‘GENIUS’.
It all works just fine.
What I did was upload the files individually using the file manager, which was a painstakingly long process. (As I am using the ‘free site’ facility, you can only upload 1 file, image etc at a time.)
Then you have to go out of the file manager and re log on, it is such a slow method. So I had uploaded all the ‘includes’ files using the e-mail option. I guess this is when they got corrupted.
I had uploaded many of the other files this way as I had so many to load and they all work fine.
Therefore , I guess I had no reason to think the ‘includes’ folder should be any different.
I would like to thank you ever so much for the time you have taken in helping me, I think the menu was worth persevering with as I love the way it looks on my pages.
Just let me know if you ever get down into my neck of the woods and I will buy you a drink sometime.
Oh, do you have a Web Site that you would like me to put a link to on my page, I would be very honoured to do so?
Once again many thanks
Cheers Dawn
Just one more thing, if you don't mind. I don't want to push my luck here as you have already been too kind but do you know where I might go to get some information about my music file. I need to make it a midi file.
Thanks Dawn

jscheuer1
05-14-2007, 01:55 PM
From what I can tell your music is currently played via an applet that requires a plug-in to function or in any case requires a plug-in. I do not have that plug-in so, cannot be sure what format the music is in. The midi format isn't the best format for web music. I would suggest an mp3. These can be made relatively small in size if made mono and compressed as much as possible without losing too much quality. An mp3 may be made part of a site directly or via Flash. Flash is what I would recommend if you require controls. However, in order to get it to be present on every page without having to restart on every page is easiest done with a frameset, which has drawbacks and may be especially hard to manage on a freewebs host.

Also, with music, you technically need permission from the copyright holder to use it in any format.

To answer your question as best as I can though, if you have a copy of the music in one format as a stand alone file (not part of a multimedia object), you can Google for a method of converting it to midi.